Gene Block and administrators discuss equity and diversity, campus expansion and more

Chancellor Gene Block is pictured at a meeting with the Daily Bruin’s Editorial Board. During the meeting, Block and other administrators fielded questions and discussed many topics. (Jeremy Chen/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Catherine Hamilton

This post was updated Oct. 5 at 7:33 p.m.

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board meets with Chancellor Gene Block quarterly to discuss topics and policies affecting the campus community. However, the meetings took a brief hiatus, with the last one occurring March 29, 2022. On Tuesday, in his last fall quarter Editorial Board meeting before his retirement, Block and other administrators answered questions about equity and diversity, the United Auto Workers graduate student strike, student safety, and campus expansion.

Under Block, UCLA has undertaken initiatives to increase equity and diversity across campus, including hiring new faculty members and increasing application outreach. One of those commitments includes becoming a Hispanic-serving Institution by 2025, which would make the campus the sixth UC to achieve that status. However, one of the designation’s requirements is that 25% of the undergraduate student body needs to be of Latino or Hispanic background. Students with those backgrounds made up 21% of UCLA’s undergraduate student population, as of 2022.

Latino individuals make up 39% of California’s population, according to the Public Policy Institute of California.

[Related: UCLA announces new efforts to be designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution]

“The whole goal of public universities is that you represent the demographics of the community that we serve,” Block said.

Yolanda Gorman, senior advisor and chief of staff to the chancellor, said having infrastructure in place for Latino and Hispanic communities is also necessary to successfully become an inclusive community. That includes the hiring of 13 new Latino faculty members and an HSI director, as well as the creation of a task force.

The university has also increased diversity throughout Block’s tenure, but there is still a long way to go, he said. In 2008 – the first incoming class Block oversaw as chancellor – Black students made up 5% of the incoming class of freshmen, with Chicano/Latino students making up 16% and Native American students less than 1%. The fall 2022 incoming class was made up of 8% Black students, 22% Hispanic students and 1% Native students.

While the United States Supreme Court struck down affirmative action at the national level this summer, California schools have already been limited by Proposition 209, which banned the consideration of race in public school admissions in 1996. Block said it has been a challenge to meet the university’s diversity goals, but one thing he said UCLA can do to increase diversity is offer better financial support.

Gorman added that Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Darnell Hunt created an advisory committee of faculty members to navigate the college landscape without affirmative action.

[Related: UCLA community expresses dissatisfaction with the end of affirmative action]

As the campus continues to deal with the aftermath of the academic workers’ strike, some departments have notified their students that they plan to admit fewer graduate students. Block said that while there has not been a decision on whether to lower the number of graduate students, departments should be mindful of their budgets.

“We’re motivated to try to make graduate education available to as many students as we can, but within the constraints of our budget,” he said.

Vice Provost of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Mitchell Chang said it is important to note that the campus is not a for-profit institution, which limits the monetary resources the university has.

Turning to broader strikes in the labor field, Block said there has been more labor unrest than since he assumed chancellorship, likely because of increased income disparities.

[Related: Hotel workers march across LA in ongoing strike for increased wages, benefits]

Administrative Vice Chancellor Michael Beck said campus safety is a No. 1 priority for the administration. Following a shooting threat last year from a former lecturer, Beck said the Threat Response Task Force gave 15 recommendations that have all been implemented.

“Some of this focus has really been on communications and making sure we’re communicating what we’re doing and ensuring our preparation,” Beck said. “I’m feeling much better about it today.”

On campus and class accessibility, Beck said resources have been expanding, including the BruinAccess van service, which received complaints because of delays and other issues.

[Related: Disabled students report chronic delays, frustrations with BruinAccess van service]

Beck added that graduate students in the School of the Arts and Architecture toured the campus and documented which facilities are not up to current code. He said all of the research into campus accessibility will be combined in the development of an Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant Transition Plan in the fall or early winter.

“They develop a plan which identifies all of the areas that need to be modified and identifies a pathway for making improvements – whether it’s an allocation of specific resources or other goals – that get completed,” Beck said.

As for hybrid learning, Block said that falls under the UCLA Academic Senate’s jurisdiction. Block said the senate is working to have the right balance between offering hybrid learning and protecting students’ privacy and sensitive discussions.

The Editorial Board asked Block about the suspension of ecologist Priyanga Amarasekare, but Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications Mary Osako declined to comment, adding that there is nothing the administration can say.

[Related: Editorial: UCLA community deserves explanation for professor Amarasekare’s suspension]

The Board also discussed investments into expansion and satellite campuses. Block said it is important to find ways to expand the campus to accommodate more students. Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Monroe Gorden added that the satellite campuses aim to host students for a few quarters, rather than four years.

Finally, Block reflected on his time at UCLA, adding that he appreciates the nurturing of individuality on campus.

“What I hope for the next chancellor is that she – maybe even he – … really appreciates all of the people that are here,” Block said. “This place is just phenomenal.”

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.