Book Preview: Fall 2023 to see Britney Spears’ memoir, return of Percy Jackson

(By Ashley Ko/Illustrations Director)

By Sanjana Chadive, Kaycie Rippe, and Lex Wang

This post was updated Oct. 1 at 10:38 p.m.

Bookworms will be raking in riveting reads this fall.

With sweater weather finally here, readers can snuggle up with their favorite blanket and a good book. From passionate romances to adventurous odysseys, this season’s upcoming releases are nothing short of exciting.

Grab a pumpkin spice latte and sip on the Daily Bruin’s autumnal literary recommendations.

[Related: Q&A: Laura Picklesimer discusses upcoming LA Greek life satirical novel]

(Courtesy of Disney Hyperion)
The cover of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Chalice of the Gods” is pictured. The novel is the first of Riordan’s to feature Percy, Annabeth and Grover as the main trio since “The Lightning Thief.” (Courtesy of Disney Hyperion)

“Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Chalice of the Gods” by Rick Riordan

Seaweed brain is applying to college.

14 years after the completion of the great prophecy, Rick Riordan added a sixth book, “The Chalice of the Gods,” to the beloved “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series on Sept. 26. After being kicked out of almost every school he had attended, Percy must go on quests to get three god-given recommendation letters for New Rome University. Doing the gods’ bidding may amount to Percy’s most difficult challenge yet, as it goes against everything in his character. Percy, Annabeth and Grover’s first mission is to find Ganymede’s chalice before its power to grant immortality is reigned by the wrong hands.

“The Chalice of the Gods” brings new and old readers together to revisit Percy Jackson’s world before the highly anticipated release of the Disney+ adaptation “Percy Jackson and the Olympians.” Aged out of their middle school reading levels, Bruins may need to catch up on the world, as this book takes place after “The Heroes of Olympus” series. Riordan has spent years expanding Percy Jackson’s universe to include many companion series, including “The Kane Chronicles,” “Trials of Apollo” and “Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard,” where readers have continued to enjoy Camp Half-Blood and explore other mythologies.

It’s time to jump back into the epic tales that made middle schoolers around the world dream of being demigods.

Kaycie Rippe

(Courtesy of Simon & Schuster)
The cover of “The Woman in Me” is pictured. Britney Spears is one of many well-known personalities to release a memoir within the last few years. (Courtesy of Simon & Schuster)

“The Woman in Me” by Britney Spears

Oops! Britney Spears has done it again.

On Oct. 24, the pop icon will be releasing “The Woman in Me,” a memoir about her experiences as one of the most enduring celebrities in the music industry. Spears, who first catapulted into fame during her teen years with the release of her debut album “…Baby One More Time,” has confronted much of her adult life in the spotlight, especially her struggles with mental health. With her court testimony in 2021, she recently revisited the spotlight to speak about the abuse she faced under her father’s conservatorship.

Following the successful termination of this legal arrangement with her father, Spears’ upcoming book will explore how she has dealt with the quest for freedom – among other themes, such as motherhood, faith and survival – while surrounded by the media’s attention. Finally able to take control of her life, Spears plans to use this prime opportunity to showcase the power of voicing her own narrative. The release of “The Woman in Me” arrives alongside other memoirs from public figures: Prince Harry’s “Spare,” Paris Hilton’s “Paris: The Memoir” and Jennette McCurdy’s “I’m Glad My Mom Died,” to name a few – which also discuss journeys living under the public eye.

Baring her soul to the masses on her terms, the princess of pop is coming back, baby – one more time.

Lex Wang

(Courtesy of Bloom Books)
The cover of “Love Redesigned” is pictured. The first book in Lauren Asher’s latest romance series, “Love Redesigned” follows two childhood rivals who fall in love while working on a renovation project. (Courtesy of Bloom Books)

“Love Redesigned” by Lauren Asher

Lauren Asher is sketching a new blueprint for the romance genre.

“Love Redesigned,” the first book in the “Lakefront Billionaires” series, will serenade bookshelves Nov. 7. In Asher’s latest novel, childhood rivals Julian Lopez and Dahlia Muñoz begrudgingly agree to renovate a historical house together. However, the two protagonists’ previously sour connection slowly sweetens as they spend more time with each other.

Earlier this year, Asher completed the “Dreamland Billionaires” trilogy with the release of “Final Offer.” Both “Final Offer” and “Love Redesigned” take place in the fictional Lake Wisteria, signifying how the events in the two trilogies transpire in the same world. Through this connection, characters from “Dreamland Billionaires” may also show up in Asher’s newest work.

Hopefully, “Love Redesigned” will be the foundation of another great love story.

Sanjana Chadive

[Related: Daily Bruin alumnus K.X. Song releases debut novel ‘An Echo in the City’]

(Courtesy of Red Tower Books)
The cover of “Iron Flame” is pictured. Following the immense success of “Fourth Wing,” readers will be transported to Navarre once again. (Courtesy of Red Tower Books)

“Iron Flame” by Rebecca Yarros

The dragons of Navarre are soaring towards a blazing return.

Igniting bookstores Nov. 7, “Iron Flame” is the highly anticipated sequel of Rebecca Yarros’ “Fourth Wing.” The story follows protagonist Violet Sorrengail as she navigates her second year at Basgiath War College, where she is preparing to become a dragon rider. While Violet’s grueling training intensifies, she is also coming to terms with the fact that her older brother Brennan, whom she previously thought was killed in action, is actually alive.

“Iron Flame” is the second installment of Yarros’ ongoing series “The Empyrean.” Previously a contemporary romance writer, Yarros began building the world of Navarre after learning that her publisher was developing a fantasy imprint. Although she said she is planning to write a quintet, readers are unaware of any details regarding the titles and content of the next three books.

Hot off the success of “Fourth Wing,” “Iron Flame” will surely burn bright.

– Sanjana Chadive

Sanjana Chadive | Lifestyle editor
Chadive is the 2023-2024 lifestyle editor. She was previously an Arts staff writer from 2022-2023. She is a third-year comparative literature student from Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania.
Lex Wang | Enterprise editor
Wang is the 2023-2024 Enterprise editor. Previously, she was the 2022-2023 Opinion editor, and prior to that, an assistant Opinion editor. She is Arts and Quad staff and also contributes to News, Sports on the men's volleyball beat, Copy, Design, Photo and Video.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]