Second Take: Fashion-forward celebrities tailor new trends and inclusive culture

(Yan Liu/Daily Bruin)

By Puja Anand

Making the red carpet bleed with statements has always been in fashion.

Fashion has long been wielded to express opinions and influence the public. The 1920s saw a radical change in female clothing as a response to women’s right to vote. Restrictive corsets evolved into free-flowing dresses, exemplifying women’s newfound liberation and power. Following the 9/11 attacks and the increasing visibility of Afghan women in burqas, fashion became synonymous with feminism in America. This evidently led to revealing clothing that protested the “oppressive” burqa. In the modern world, fashion has become a platform for political and personal statements, especially in regard to celebrities.

For instance, Lady Gaga’s renowned Meat Dress, where she donned raw beef at the 2010 MTV Awards show, was a poignant revolt against the U.S. military’s Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy that prohibited open members of the LGBTQ+ community from serving in the military. In Gaga’s words, “If we don’t stand up for what we believe in, … we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our bones.”

The 2018 Golden Globe Awards saw an ocean of women in black clothing to signify solidarity with the Time’s Up movement supporting victims of sexual assault. By using style to make a statement, celebrities are transforming the fashion world from a model’s exclusive club to an inclusive realm with the power to incite change.

However, not all celebrity fashion is progressive. Singer Joy Villa has expressed support for former President Trump’s controversial policies on numerous occasions. She attended the 2018 Grammy Awards in a voluptuous white gown with the image of an unborn baby in a womb paired with a “Choose Life” purse, making her stance on abortion brutally clear. The following year’s Grammys saw her don a dress with “Build the Wall” stitched in bright red lettering. Though fashion is a slippery slope between wanted and unwanted influences, in recent times, it has facilitated progressive and accepting mindsets.

[Related: Second Take: Diverse influencers make it to the red carpet; Hollywood should take them farther]

But then comes the question of whether celebrities are simply pawns in the money-driven game of fashion designers. Certainly, dressing stars is a profitable experience for designers, but celebrities have a lot to gain too. Stylist Jessica Paster – who has worked with high-profile celebrities including Emily Blunt and Matt Damon – said actors can receive between $100,000 and $250,000 for donning a designer’s gown for a single night. Benefits also transcend money, as stars dressed by credible brands receive increased media attention and thus increased cultural relevance.

Keeping close ties with designers is a win-win. Anne Hathaway’s tendency to wear Valentino brings in a stream of checks, while Valentino receives consistent brand endorsement from Hathaway’s carpet appearances. Further, rising actors yet to attain stardom make the paper based on their outfits, with the media asking not “what,” but “who” they are wearing. Even Kim Kardashian owes much of her style popularity to designer brand Givenchy, which shot her into the fashion spotlight back in 2012.

Despite this, actors are beginning to reject designers, and for good reason. Designer culture has long perpetuated a “size 0” mentality, demeaning and dismissing all other women based on a toxic image of “beauty.” Bebe Rexha spoke out about her personal experience: Designers outright refused to dress her for the 2019 Grammys, claiming that she was “too big.”

Racism is another significant facet of discrimination within fashion. Destiny’s Child, a group composed of three Black women, was told to dress like white artists, such as Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, to appeal to the public. Reluctant to be associated with “four Black, country, curvy girls,” as Beyoncé revealed at the 2016 Council of Fashion Designers of America Awards, high-end labels rejected the women based on physical mismatches.

To spark a shift in the inertia of toxic fashion ideals, celebrities are forging new paths with their own open-minded and accepting designer brands. Sofia Vergara’s brand EBY has adopted a size range that goes up to 4X while straying away from the condescending “plus-size” label. Additionally, Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty boasts 40 different foundation shades, thus tackling beauty standards pertaining to skin color. Where designer brands feed off of the exclusivity of their products, female celebrities-turned-designers are leagues ahead in inclusivity and body positivity and are well on their way to rightfully dominating the market.

[Related: Second Take: Harry Styles’ Vogue cover is sign of the times but ignores history of gender fluidity]

Beyond body inclusivity, influencers and celebrities are coming out with sustainable fashion geared to fight climate change. Rosario Dawson co-founded Voz with Jasmine Aaron, a brand that uses sustainable processes and fibers while employing and safeguarding Indigenous women. In 2021, the charismatic Jason Momoa launched a plant-based sneaker company that utilizes algae in the production process. Celebrities have revealed their creations at award shows – endeavors that revolt against the fast fashion of high-label brands while popularizing a sustainable culture.

Celebrity attire is directly correlated with the trends that saturate society and what is deemed fashionable at the moment. Paris Hilton’s 2000s tracksuits inspired an era of work-out clothing far from the gym, while Blake Lively’s red carpet and streetwear pantsuits have promoted the business-with-a-twist look. Harry Styles has also developed into Generation Z’s fashion icon, as his stereotypically feminine clothing pushes gender boundaries, leading to the growing acceptance of gender fluidity and liberalized expression.

In this climate, the power of celebrities is unmistakable – no matter how much the public tries to boycott them. Thus, the ideas and awareness those of influence choose to promote via their style has become crucial to the public’s dominant mindsets. Fortunately, celebrities are speaking out with their outfits, tackling norms and letting their fans know that they can do the same.

It is high time it became known that fashion tailors more than just clothes.

Puja Anand
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]