‘The Mandalorian’ season 2 recap – episode 7: ‘Chapter 15: The Believer’

(Courtesy of Lucasfilm Ltd.)

"Chapter 15: The Believer"

Directed by Rick Famuyiwa

Disney+

Dec. 11

By Matthew Chu

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

Unmasking a Mandalorian is no easy task, but the season’s penultimate episode has much to reveal.

Following the emotional rollercoaster of last week’s downer episode, Din Djarin (Pedro Pascal) calls upon an old adversary before he can save Grogu from the clutches of Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito). Introducing one last side mission before the final confrontation seems like forced padding at first, but there’s more to season two episode seven than meets the eye. Subverting expectations, “Chapter 15: The Believer” showcases hefty character development in an unexpectedly satisfying prelude to the season finale.

To aid Djarin in his quest to rescue Grogu, Cara Dune (Gina Carano) – now a marshal of the New Republic – recruits the prisoner Migs Mayfeld (Bill Burr), an ex-imperial sharpshooter who double-crossed Djarin in a memorable heist episode from season one. Burr effectively returns to the role as his flippant persona and thick Bostonian accent bring chaotic energy to the morally questionable mercenary. And while the real-life stand-up comedian seemingly plays himself at times, his character delivers surprisingly emotional weight as the episode unravels.

After Mayfeld reveals that Gideon’s coordinates can be obtained on the mining planet of Morak, Djarin’s team – also including Fennec Shand (Ming-Na Wen) and Boba Fett (Temuera Morrison) – plans to pose as Imperials and steal the critical intel. But because of genetic recognition technology, Djarin is the only one who can join Mayfeld in infiltrating the Imperial mining premises, forcing the zealous Mandalorian to wear stormtrooper armor in place of his religiously significant beskar steel.

[Related: ‘The Mandalorian’ season 2 recap – episode 6: ‘Chapter 14: The Tragedy’]

Djarin’s reluctance to don the disguise invites some interrogative banter from Mayfeld as the two drive a transport vehicle containing a highly explosive element called rhydonium. Mayfeld notably dissects the notion that the Empire is bad and the New Republic is good when the locals view them equally as invaders. Though his dialogue feels a bit like a real-life hot take on “Star Wars,” Mayfeld’s commentary brings up somewhat valid criticisms about the established universe and helps build the episode’s thematic backbone.

Their drive, however, is soon interrupted by local pirates whom Djarin fends off as Mayfield tries to avoid agitating the explosive materials. Because Djarin’s beskar armor usually equates to character invincibility, his newfound vulnerability forces him to fight with more creativity – and caution.

The two are saved as TIE fighters come to their aid, and they are welcomed at the mining facility with open arms. The mixture of relief, celebration and a triumphant musical score typically reserved for heroes makes for an unusual juxtaposition that feeds into the episode’s metacommentary on the complicated realities of good versus evil. However, it begs the question of why the pirates weren’t similarly given a bit more depth to round out the episode’s otherwise nuanced ideas.

At the mess hall, Mayfeld identifies a terminal that can give them Gideon’s location through a facial scan but refuses to go in once he recognizes his former commanding officer, Valin Hess (Richard Brake). With no other option, Djarin heads in and shockingly removes his helmet to carry out the task. Unmasked, Pascal wonderfully conveys Djarin’s discomfort, awkwardness and shame of violating his lifelong Mandalorian creed – revealing the character’s increased willingness to bend his beliefs for The Child’s safety.

[Related: ‘The Mandalorian’ season 2 recap – episode 5: ‘Chapter 13: The Jedi’]

The situation escalates when Hess asks Djarin for his identification, but not even a well-rehearsed alibi from Mayfeld can prevent Hess’ sinister invitation for a celebratory drink. Expertly crafted tension intensifies the following scene as a petrified Djarin nervously watches Mayfeld navigate the conversation toward uncomfortably heavy war stories.

Hess’ callous comments about the loss of life in their past incursions visibly bother Mayfeld, who telegraphs feelings of post-traumatic stress because of the horrors he witnessed. And Burr’s subtle shakes and tears humanize his typically cynical character before he cathartically shoots Hess, igniting a firefight.

Acting on conscience, the once fatalistic Mayfeld acknowledges that Djarin also made moral judgment calls during the episode, and agrees to say he never saw the Mandalorian’s face. Since Mayfeld spends most of the episode coming off as untrustworthy, seeing his sympathetic side feels all the more redemptive and results in an earned sense of mutual respect between the two characters.

Djarin and Mayfeld later escape out the windows as Dune and Shand provide cover via sniper rifles. After the duo is saved by Fett in his ship Slave I, Mayfeld further clears his conscience by sniping and triggering the rhydonium to explode the refinery. Previously skeptical of Mayfeld’s allegiances, Dune releases him for his selflessness and updates his status in the New Republic records, saying he died in the explosion.

Meanwhile, Gideon receives a threatening holographic message from Djarin, who gives him a taste of his own medicine by reciting the Imperial’s own monologue demanding The Child. The speech punctuates the episode on a satisfying note as Djarin heads into the finale with an unwavering sense of conviction for Grogu, whom he openly expresses his affection for.

From a narrative perspective, it could have been tempting to head straight into the climax this week, but the episode provides left-field character drama that fittingly peels back Djarin’s layers before his final challenge. Burr turns in an emotionally poignant performance while Pascal’s brief face time provides a humanizing look at Djarin’s character progression. Not to mention, the episode is an intense, well-written and thematically nuanced story that mostly succeeds in its bold deconstruction of the “Star Wars” canon.

The Child may be gone for now, but Mando isn’t afraid to take the gloves off – or his helmet – this time around.

Matthew Chu