Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Gamer Garb: Cosplayer community celebrates ‘inner nerd’ through creativity

(Ashley Ko/Daily Bruin)

By Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon

This post was updated May 21 at 8:

Transcending the barrier between online and the physical world, video game clothing is a foundational building block in fan culture and worldbuilding. Ever present yet often overlooked, these virtual garments affect the wallets and wardrobes of gaming enthusiasts and nonfans alike. In “Gamer Garb,” columnist Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon steps away from the keyboard to explore the real-life impacts of digital attire.

Lucy Chang/Daily Bruin
Lucy Chang/Daily Bruin

Some cosplayers are in it for the long con.

A portmanteau of costume and play, cosplay can be defined as dressing up as a fictional character from any medium, whether as a hobby or a professional career. Akakioga, who has cosplayed since 2006, said cosplaying for video games differs from that of other animated media because their interactivity fosters a closer connection between the characters and players. The reason things from an animated world are recreated in real life is because of the creative challenge, she said.

“We’re (Cosplayers are) … like, ‘Yeah, they (game studios) did not think about physics when they were constructing this 8-foot-long buster sword or this gigantic shield,’” Akakioga said. “It is really just the process of trial and error and just learning new ways to make things into a reality of, now you can hold the thing that you were just playing with in the game not too long ago.”

[Related: Gamer Garb: Costume designers take video game fashion to the next level]

Because video game items are not designed under the constraints of the physical world, Akakioga said the community’s creativity facilitates a wide exchange of information. Futhermore, she said there are individuals with varying levels of experience with different techniques and materials, such as sewing and 3D printing, which breeds innovation. Though she does not have experience with every crafting medium, Akakioga said her designs have taught her new skills, such as when she made her first hoop skirt for a “Final Fantasy XIV” ball gown.

Finance is another factor in innovation, cosplayer Sam Meeps said. Since projects often call for unique materials, she said shopping for a design can add up in cost, which is why she reuses what she has left over and searches for nontraditional supplies. For instance, Meeps said she built a prop chair using wood from an old shelf.

Beyond the financial benefits, Meeps said being able to inexpensively recreate a video game item rather than purchasing an expensive replica can be an enjoyable challenge for the crafters. Additionally, Akakioga said it is important for crafters to set a budget for projects and to prioritize their financial responsibilities.

Furthermore, Akakioga said cosplay’s potential to become an expensive pastime can act as a barrier to entry. Nearly a year ago, she gave away two Sergers, which are specialized sewing machines, as part of a brand deal. She said these types of collaborations can be beneficial for aspiring cosplayers who may not have the financial means to afford expensive equipment.

“Cosplay can be a very expensive hobby to get into, especially if you want to craft,” Akakioga said. “I really do think that … crafting is just recognizing how much privilege it is to even be in this hobby.”

While a finite budget can spur creativity, the lowering costs and rising quality of store-bought costumes have made cosplay accessible to a wider audience, Meeps said. Beverly Downen, a cosplayer since 2014 and the author of “Cosplayer’s Ultimate Guide to EVA Foam,” said she has noticed an increase in materials and resources that are available for cosplayers as companies have taken notice of the art form over the years. One notable resource is YouTube, which Downen said contains a wealth of tutorials from companies and community members alike, allowing new cosplayers to craft at a higher level faster.

[Related: Tales of the Throne: Tyrion, a tyrant? Richard III may have inspired his character]

Outside of creating tutorials, Downen also founded SheProp!, an online cosplay community for underrepresented genders. Because of cosplay’s role as a tool for self-expression, she said she wanted to have a community where she felt safe sharing her creations and could uplift others. SheProp! is primarily active on Facebook, and she said members use it as a forum to ask for advice and share their creations.

Though the group was initially created for women, it has since expanded to various gender identities, and Downen said she continues to listen to the community’s input on how to improve the safe space. Another important space to the cosplay community at large is conventions, which Downen said are crucial for allowing them to gather.

“It’s all about pop culture and celebrating your inner nerd and celebrating those fandoms and allowing people the space, and that the safety of that space to come and express themselves however they want,” Downen said. “Normally it’s a very safe place to do that, and some folks, that’s their only outlet to go do that.”

When convention attendees recognize cosplays, Meeps said it leads to meeting new people who have a shared interest, which is what she enjoys about attending these events. She added that cosplaying produces vulnerability, as each person bears a fabric sign of their favorite media.

Since her first convention in 2006, Akakioga said she’s become involved with the community in many ways, including discussions on crafting techniques or diversity and inclusion. Ultimately, Akakioga said the cosplay community is a multifaceted hub that has become her second family.

“We always want to have more people involved in this because we know what it was like to get into it, and it was really hard,” Akakioga said. “We don’t want our newer generation of cosplayers to have to struggle as much as we did.”

Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon
Cobo Cordon is the 2023-2024 music | fine arts editor. She was previously an Arts reporter. She is also a second-year student from northern Virginia.