Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

LE SSERAFIM transcends genre to embrace individuality in ‘UNFORGIVEN’

(Courtesy of Source Music)

“UNFORGIVEN”

LE SSERAFIM

Source Music

May 1

By Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon

This post was updated May 7 at 9:11 p.m.

LE SSERAFIM’s debut album is burning bridges and demolishing choruses.

The K-pop group – comprised of Sakura, Kim Chaewon, Huh Yunjin, Kazuha and Hong Eunchae – released its first full-length studio album Monday, nearly a year after its debut in May 2022. Serving as an anthology of the group’s career so far, “UNFORGIVEN” includes 13 tracks, six of which are rereleases from its previous two EPs. Set to a soundtrack of cross-cultural genres with playful lyricism that reflects each member, “UNFORGIVEN” is a testament to the beautiful intricacy and depth that comes from unabashedly embracing individuality as part of a bigger picture.

The album kicks off with three songs off the “FEARLESS” EP, “The World Is My Oyster (2023 Ver.),” “FEARLESS (2023 Ver.)” and “Blue Flame (2023 Ver.).” Despite the addition of “2023 Ver.” to the original titles, the tracks are stylistically the same as before – with the exception of ex-member Kim Garam’s lines being sung by the other members. The triad works together to establish a gritty, late-night tone underscoring the group’s mission to claim the power to define themselves. With sounds of speeding cars and disco-pop, LE SSERAFIM embarks on its cross-genre expedition.

[Related: Music preview: Artists spring to action with personal lyricism and bold sound]

For the second leg of its discographical tour, the quintet bookends the reggaeton-infused vivaciousness of “ANTIFRAGILE” with the comparably mellower “The Hydra” and “Impurities.” Similar to the first third of the album, these tracks are true rereleases directly from the “ANTIFRAGILE” EP. While the transition between these two EPs is slightly jarring – going from the smooth bass of “Blue Flame (2023 Ver.)” to the mechanical, robotic intro of “The Hydra” – the issue is seamlessly remedied between “Impurities” and “Burn the Bridge.”

Ringing in the new era of LE SSERAFIM, “Burn the Bridge” is a serene oasis before the dry desert of “UNFORGIVEN.” The song is characterized by its trilingual poeticism, underscored by a soothing melody of strings and overcome by the atmosphere of a thrumming raceway. With softly spoken lyrics such as, “A closed door, a door locked shut / Another door slightly ajar, I open them all,” LE SSERAFIM eloquently explores a narrative blend of decision-making and restrictions before a wave of echoing vocalizations washes it all away.

Despite being the album’s titular track, “UNFORGIVEN,” featuring Nile Rodgers, is nearly eclipsed by the bursting energy of “No-Return (Into the Unknown).” While the former jumps headfirst into a Western soundscape – complete with what appears to be a sample of the iconic whistle from the movie “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” – the latter beams with youthfulness in a timeless upbeat pop style without risking a traversal of the problematic genre. With a celebratory dance break conducted by brass instruments, “No-Return (Into the Unknown)” is a feel-good anthem that lives up to the mission set forth by its lyrics: living courageously.

Reminiscent of the tempo of a mid-2010s dance song, “Eve, Psyche & The Bluebeard’s wife” centers a pulsating beat accentuated by the booms scattered throughout the lyrics. The electro-pop and funk track maintains a danceable rhythm while successfully pulling the album in a more subdued direction in preparation for the soothingly gentle guitar track, “FEARNOT (Between you, me and the lamppost),” which shows a vulnerable side of the often-confident group.

[Related: Q&A: K-pop group NCT DREAM talks 1st US headlining tour ahead of LA show]

The heartfelt song includes all five members in the writing credits and Huh Yunjin as one of the producers, making its dedication to fans all the more meaningful. The album’s penultimate track, “Flash Forward,” has a laid-back beat as fresh as a beach breeze with feel-good cheers echoing throughout, providing a moment of relaxation before the album’s final stop.

Encompassing the roar of a stadium, Latin pop-infused “Fire in the belly” closes out the album with a burst of energy fit for a parade. The group’s vocals shine in the prechorus as its delicacy and strength balance out the liveliness of the instrumentation for each verse. The interspersed Spanish lyrics show the group’s commitment to honoring the Latin American culture that often serves as a fountain of inspiration for its sound. The final chant of “Olé, olé, olé, olé” conjures images of a sea of fans cheering on LE SSERAFIM as it brings this pseudo-World Cup to an end with a victory-worthy genre-blending addition to its discography.

As a passion-packed first album, LE SSERAFIM’s “UNFORGIVEN” is an unapologetic culmination of the group’s “FEARLESS” journey around the musical globe.

Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon
Cobo Cordon is the 2023-2024 music | fine arts editor. She was previously an Arts reporter. She is also a second-year student from northern Virginia.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]