TV preview: Weather the winter season with new releases of 2023

(Tara Desai / Daily Bruin)

By Chloe Colligan, Maya Rego, Victoria Munck, and Breanna Diaz

Televisions will be keeping screens warm this winter.

To escape the gloomy weather, audiences can transport themselves to an array of sunny destinations. From a coastal island to the rock-and-roll scene of glitzy Hollywood, the choices for a blazing hot getaway are endless.

Read on for the Daily Bruin’s picks to escape from the frigid cold.

[Related: Film preview: Add family matters, murderous rampages and more to your watchlist this winter]

(Courtesy of Jackson Lee Davis/Netflix)
Rudy Pankow plays JJ on “Outer Banks.” Season three of the Netflix show will premiere Feb. 23. (Courtesy of Jackson Lee Davis/Netflix)

“Outer Banks” season 3 (Netflix)

Viewers are invited to ditch the dreary winter weather and return to sunny Poguelandia.

After an 18-month hiatus, Netflix’s teen drama series “Outer Banks” is back Feb. 23 for a third season. Madelyn Cline, who portrays island princess Sarah, accidentally leaked the season’s release date in November while conducting press for the film “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” but Netflix only just confirmed the release date Jan. 3. The series chronicles the adventures of the Pogues, a group of misfit teenagers living on the Outer Banks islands led by treasure hunter John B (Chase Stokes).

Season two closed with the Pogues stranded on a seemingly deserted island somewhere near the Bahamas. However, the biggest twist of the turbulent finale occurs when Big John (Charles Halford), John B’s father who was brutally murdered by Sarah’s father Ward (Charles Esten) back in season one, is revealed to be alive and in hiding. As seen in a trailer that teases more car chases, near-death experiences and family drama, season three will surely tie up this loose end while ramping up the action.

As the colossal thrills continue, the Pogues are headed straight for big waves with no fear of wiping out.

– Maya Rego

(Courtesy of Starz)
The cast of “Party Down” stand in white button-down shirts and pink bow ties. The third season of the 2009 sitcom revival will premiere Feb. 24. (Courtesy of Starz)

“Party Down” season 3 (Starz)

The capers of the “Party Down” catering crew are back on the menu this winter.

On Feb. 24, longtime fans can rejoice with a six-episode revival of the classic 2009 sitcom premiering on Starz. Set 10 years after the conclusion of season two, the installment will find the former employees serving wild Los Angeles parties once again after an unexpected reunion. Viewers can anticipate the familiar wit and unconventional humor that steered the series with the involvement of original showrunner John Enbom and executive producer Paul Rudd.

While the teaser trailer does not disclose much of the comedy’s content, it does reveal the return of its original cast, including stars Adam Scott, Jane Lynch and Ken Marino, donning their characters’ recognizable pink and white uniforms. Others on the guest list this season include newcomers Jennifer Garner and Tyrel Jackson Williams. With an accomplished ensemble and guaranteed hilarity, “Party Down” is sure to keep viewers captivated a decade later.

Whether late to the party or the first ones to arrive, audiences should RSVP for this winter’s long-awaited revival ASAP.

– Victoria Munck

(Courtesy of Lacey Terrell/Prime Video)
The cast of “Daisy Jones & The Six” stand on a red-illuminated stage. The adaption of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s novel will premiere March 3. (Courtesy of Lacey Terrell/Prime Video)

“Daisy Jones & The Six” season 1 (Amazon Prime Video)

At last, “Daisy Jones & The Six” lovers can visualize the glitz and glamor of author Taylor Jenkins Reid’s 1970s Hollywood.

The television show adaptation of The New York Times bestselling novel, which was first published in 2019, is set to stream March 3 on Amazon Prime Video. “Daisy Jones & The Six” will be the first of many of Reid’s books to come to life on screen, with “Malibu Rising” and “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” also in the works. On Wednesday, readers got their first taste of the titular rock band’s music with the recent release of “Regret Me,” the first single from its album “Aurora.”

Following the premise of the book, the series will feature the tumultuous dynamics of the members of the band as they gain fame and glory. In particular, it will spotlight the troubled but captivating lead singer Daisy Jones (Riley Keough) as she navigates the sex-, drug- and fame-crazed Hollywood of the ’70s. The show’s other cast members include singer Suki Waterhouse, playing keyboardist Karen, and Sam Claflin as lead male vocalist Billy.

And finally, the time has come for Reid fans everywhere to rock out with their favorite band.

– Chloe Colligan

(Courtesy of Dávid Lukács/Netflix)
Archie Renaux (left) and Jessie Mei Li (right) play Malyen Oretsev and Alina Starkov in “Shadow and Bone.” Season two of the Netflix show will premiere March 16. (Courtesy of Dávid Lukács/Netflix)

“Shadow and Bone” season 2 (Netflix)

The Sun Summoner is calling viewers back to the Grishaverse.

Netflix’s “Shadow and Bone” is returning for a long-awaited second season on March 16, two years after the release of an ambitious first season. An adaptation of Leigh Bardugo’s fantasy-drama novels set in the fictional nation of Ravka, the season one finale witnessed the escape of protagonists Alina (Jessie Mei Li) and Malyen (Archie Renaux) from the villainous General Kirigan (Ben Barnes). The penultimate scene teases a team-up between the charismatic duo and other characters from the “Six of Crows” series, another set of books within Bardugo’s extensive universe.

Joining the ensemble are Lewis Tan, Anna Leong Brophy, Jack Wolfe and Patrick Gibson. Perhaps the most notable of these castings is Gibson, who portrays Nikolai Lantsov, a dashing yet haunted major character in the books. The season will most likely up the ante by tackling Alina and Malyen’s life on the run, Alina’s subsequent rise as the nation’s savior and a separate storyline for the “Six of Crows” characters. In all, viewers can expect another dazzling visual spectacle as the show simultaneously explores a darker, more mature tone.

For longtime fans, the convergence of complex characters will make for a spellbinding sophomore season worth the wearisome wait.

– Maya Rego

[Related: TV preview: Reexperience back to school with these upcoming fall releases, and more]

(Courtesy of Kailey Schwerman/SHOWTIME)
The cast of “Yellowjackets” stand in a snowy landscape. The second season of the Showtime show will premiere March 24. (Courtesy of Kailey Schwerman/SHOWTIME)

“Yellowjackets” season 2 (Showtime)

The worst field trip ever continues in the new season of “Yellowjackets.”

Showtime’s series “Yellowjackets” returns for its second season March 24. The show explores the aftermath of a plane crash that leaves a high school soccer team stranded in the woods for more than a year and the traumatic effects that follow the survivors in their adult lives.

“Yellowjackets” wove mystery and supernatural elements into every episode of season one, ending with chaos and violence that rivals “Lord of the Flies.” The teaser trailer for season two suggests potential answers to questions the first season raised, such as the identity of the enigmatic Antler Queen teased in the pilot episode and the tipping point that pushes the girls to cannibalize each other. In the trailer, fans can see glimpses of a fantasy feast in the woods, a group of shadowy figures in animal masks and the adult version of the clairvoyant Lottie (Simone Kessell), who stepped into a position of power at the end of season one.

Already renewed for a third season, “Yellowjackets” is bound to give audiences more than enough weekly thrills.

– Breanna Diaz

Chloe Colligan
Victoria Munck | Theater | film | television editor
Munck is the 2023-2024 theater | film | television editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2022-2023. She is a second-year communication student from Granada Hills, California.