Tuesday, March 5, 2024

University of California increases diversity, in-state admissions for fall 2022

Pictured is Janss steps in the middle of UCLA’s campus. The University of California recently released their admission data for fall 2022, which includes a record number of admitted in-state first-year students and a decrease in out-of-state and international students.
(David Rimer/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Catherine Hamilton

This post was updated Aug. 21 at 8:33 p.m.

The University of California admitted its largest and most racially and ethnically diverse in-state student population for fall 2022 entry while its out-of-state admittance decreased.

Admitted in-state students from underrepresented groups increased 2.5% from last year, increasing the percentage of in-state freshmen from a racial or ethnic minority group to 43.8%, according to a UC Office of the President press release. A record 85,268 in-state first-year students were admitted across the UC, compared with 84,223 for fall 2021, according to the press release.

For in-state freshmen admitted for fall 2022, Latino and Latina, Black, Asian American and American Indian populations increased by a marginal amount, according to the press release, while the number of admitted in-state white students decreased.

[Related link: University of California to welcome most diverse admit class in fall 2021]

Additionally, the economic diversity of the first-year class stayed nearly the same as fall 2021, according to the press release, as 44% of admitted students are first-generation – down one percentage point – and 47% come from low-income families – up two percentage points from the previous year.

The UC also saw a decrease in transfer applications from students at California Community Colleges, according to the press release, though the admission rate for transfer students increased to 75.7% from 73% in 2021.

According to the press release, all campuses besides UC Merced and UC Riverside reduced their out-of-state admissions by 19% and international admissions by 12.2% because of the May 2022 UC compact with Gov. Gavin Newsom, a five-year agreement to decrease equity gaps and increase student success on UC campuses. The overall rate of freshman admissions decreased by 5.1%, according to the press release.

“It is our privilege to be able to offer admission to the state’s largest-ever class of California students,” said UC President Michael Drake in the press release.

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.

1bedroom1bath with adjoining patio, furnished, all utilities paid including private security, UCLA adjacent, extreme privacy. Available March 1st. $1700/mo. Male preferred. 310-488-9061