Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLASundance 2022

University of California to welcome most diverse admit class in fall 2021

The University of California admitted the most diverse group of freshmen students and a record number of transfer students for fall 2021, the UC Office of the President announced Monday. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Anushka Chakrabarti

July 19, 2021 11:35 a.m.

This post was updated July 25 at 7:58 p.m.

The University of California admitted its most diverse group of students for fall 2021 entry.  

According to a UC Office of the President press release, 43% of admitted California freshmen are of racial and ethnic minority groups. 

Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the UC saw a 11% increase in freshman admissions systemwide over 2020. However, UCLA’s overall admission rate dropped to 10.7% this year from 14.4% in 2020. 

Of California freshmen admitted throughout the UC system, Chicano/Latino students made up 37% – up nearly 9% since 2020 – and admission of African American students rose by 15.6% since 2020. First-generation California freshmen stayed consistent with previous years, making up 45% of students admitted. 

The number of Pacific Islander freshman students admitted rose by nearly 60% compared to 2020, but these students still compose less than 1% of the total admitted freshmen. The number of American Indian freshmen admitted remained consistent with past years, rising from 63 students to 73, making up 1% of the total admitted freshman.

Additionally, the UC system admitted the largest class of California community college transfer students this year, 53% of whom are first-generation college students. 

However, UCLA admitted a total of 5,305 transfer students, almost a 16% decrease in admitted transfer students compared to 2020. 

Of the transfer students admitted, 6% were African American, 1% were American Indian, 28% were Chicano/Latino students and less than 1% were Pacific Islander students. 

For the 2021 application year, the UC suspended its use of standardized testing in admission decisions. 

[RELATED LINK: University of California announces it will not use SAT, ACT in admissions decisions]

The University also provided several temporary admission accommodations including suspending the letter-grade requirement for high school classes taken during either specific terms or the full 2020-2021 academic year or during the winter, spring or summer terms of 2020.

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.

670 Kelton ave Los Angeles Ca 90024 Mgr#310-209-0006 2 bedroom + two bathroom 3 bedroom+ 3 bathroom Amenities: controlled access, underground parking, thoughtfully designed lush landscaping, dramatic views from wood roof deck, ideal for socializing State of the art gym, pool, wash/dryer in units, private balconies, C/A top of the line stainless steel kitchen appliances, luxe stone countertops, low maintenance faux wood floors Bright with natural sunlight, custom design bathrooms with stone features. Walking distance to UCLA, WESTWOOD village.