UCLA receives record-breaking number of applications for 2nd consecutive year

UCLA received a record number of applications for fall 2022, increasing for the second year in a row. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Anushka Chakrabarti, Constanza Montemayor, and Christine Tran

This post was updated Feb. 28 at 12:29 a.m.

UCLA received the largest number of applications across the University of California system for the second year in a row for fall 2022, but systemwide transfer applications decreased by almost 6,000.

According to preliminary data released by the UC Office of the President, 149,799 freshmen and 24,907 transfers applied for fall 2022 admission to UCLA. Across the UC, there was a 3.5% total increase from 2021 and an approximately 3% increase for in-state freshman applications from last year, according to UCOP.

A record number of 210,840 freshman students applied for UC-wide admission for fall 2022, according to a statement from UCOP. However, transfer applications fell by 12.6% across the UC for fall 2022 compared to the applicant pool for 2021.

In fall 2021, UCLA saw a 24.6% increase in freshman and transfer applicants from the previous year. 

[Related: UCLA receives record number of applications for fall 2021]

“UC is aware of the decrease in transfer applications and California Community College students across the system and is working to ensure that this critical group is supported in their efforts to apply at our campuses,” said Han Mi Yoon-Wu, executive director of UC Undergraduate Admissions, in the press release from UCOP. “We are committed to having a strong and diverse pipeline of students.”

The number of applicants from underrepresented groups also increased slightly this year.

Systemwide, Chicano/Latino students were the largest ethnic group for the third year in a row, comprising 38.1% of freshman applicants, compared to 37.8% of applicants in fall 2021. They were also the largest ethnic group for the fifth year in a row of California Community College applicants at 31.8%.

Freshman applications from African American students remained at 7% of total applications to the UC, with 235 more applicants compared to last year. American Indian freshman applicants stayed at around 1%, increasing from 573 applicants in 2021 to 761 in 2022.

UC transfer applications from African American students and American Indian students remained at 6% and 1%, respectively, of the total applications. However, the number of African American transfer applicants dropped from 2,152 in fall 2021 to 1,906 in fall 2022. Asian American transfer applications also saw a 1% decrease, with the number of applicants falling by approximately 1,000 this application cycle. 

The number of applications systemwide from low-income backgrounds for California freshman applicants and California Community College transfer applicants increased to 46% and 56%, respectively.

“The University of California remains an institution of choice for so many hardworking prospective undergraduates,” said UC President Michael Drake in the press release from the UCOP. “This diverse group of students has shown their commitment to pursuing higher education and we are thrilled they want to join us at UC.”

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.
Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.
Christine Tran | Alumnus
Tran was the 2021-2022 national news and higher education editor in addition to being a contributor for Enterprise. She was also a fourth-year political science student at UCLA.