Gov. Newsom enacts curfew in response to growing number of COVID-19 cases
The California Department of Public Health issued an order to ban some nonessential gatherings from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. after COVID-19 cases surged in early November. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)
This post was updated Nov. 22 at 6:42 p.m.
California issued a monthlong limited stay-at-home order banning some nonessential gatherings in most counties Thursday to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The California Department of Public Health order will ban nonessential gatherings with people from multiple households between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. in 41 counties, including Los Angeles County. The order does not apply to people experiencing homelessness and workers in essential workforces, such as health care and emergency services.
People can still leave their residences if they do not interact with people from other households.
The stay-at-home order will last one month, starting Saturday at 10 p.m. and lasting until 5 a.m. on Dec. 21.
The state hopes to reduce contact between people from different households by reducing social activities that may encourage the spread of COVID-19, said Erica Pan, the CDPH acting state public health officer, in a CDPH press release Thursday.
“The virus is spreading at a pace we haven’t seen since the start of this pandemic and the next several days and weeks will be critical to stop the surge,” said Gov. Gavin Newsom in a press release from his office Thursday. “We are sounding the alarm.”
The order will apply to more than 94% of the California population.
[Related link: LA County imposes new restrictions as COVID-19 cases rise]
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health previously issued a curfew on nonessential retail businesses, limiting their opening hours from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. The LACDPH order will start Friday.
The LACDPH reported more than 5,000 new COVID-19 cases Thursday, the highest number of cases the county has ever reported.