Unsung Heroes: Gwen Stacy upgrades from plot point to Spider-Woman

Gwen Stacy, who’s primarily known for her tragic death in the comics in 1973, has recently received more comic book coverage as the Spider-Woman of Earth-65. Stacy currently features as the lead of a spin-off series “Spider-Gwen.” (Marvel Comics)

By Aubrey Yeo

Marvel Comics has seen an increase in mainstream popularity with the recent release of several box-office hits such as “The Avengers.” Since its inception in 1939, the comic book company has created thousands of characters. While not all of them may get their due publicity because of a lack of exposure on the silver screen, each has interesting stories to tell in the print medium.

There was an air of ambiguity in 1973 as Spider-Man’s web caught his girlfriend Gwen Stacy from what would’ve been a fatal plunge into the East River.

For years, fans debated whether it was the shock of getting thrown off the top of the Brooklyn Bridge or the whiplash caused by Spider-Man suddenly stopping her high-velocity fall that left no doubt that Gwen Stacy had died. Her death was unprecedented – it proved that in the idealistic world of superheroics, heroes like Spider-Man can still fail.

Since then, Stacy has remained as a plot point, rather than a character in Spider-Man’s story. Her role is so well-defined in the Spider-Man mythos that I wasn’t at all surprised when her character was killed off again in the 2014 film “The Amazing Spider-Man 2.”

But Marvel gave Stacy a second chance. They didn’t do this by resurrecting Stacy and reversing one of the most significant events in comic book history but by instead reinventing her.

Veteran Spider-Man series writer Dan Slott introduced a variety of alternate reality Spider-Men for the “Spider-Verse” 2014 crossover event in “Amazing Spider-Man,” volume three, issue nine. Among them was a Gwen Stacy from an alternate dimension – one who serves as the Spider-Woman of Earth-65.

Since he took over the reins, Jason Latour does a good job that Marvel writers from decades ago haven’t done, and that is help elevate Stacy into a more prominent, modern role in comic books. Marvel’s attempt at making the character her own ongoing series rather than continuing to debase her as just a plot point was very well received by the fans, with the debut of the “Spider-Gwen” series reaching No. 3 in comic book sales for February 2015.

“Edge of Spider-Verse” issue two briefly touches on the origins of this version of Gwen Stacy that comes with the same iconic blonde bangs and hairband combination, fashioned into a trendy bob adaptation.

In this universe, it’s Stacy who’s imbued with Spidey powers after a bite from a radioactive spider, while Earth-65’s Peter Parker never becomes Spider-Man. Parker is tired of needing Stacy’s help to fend-off bullies and concocts a serum to make himself “special” just like Spider-Woman is. Parker, however, ends up transforming himself into the savage Lizard, and dies in the ensuing battle against Spider-Woman. Parker’s death inspires Stacy to use her powers to fight crime, establishing him as Stacy’s Uncle Ben figure.

Four reprints of the issue and first-print editions inflating to prices close to $60 on eBay make it pretty clear – fans wanted more.

Marvel gave them what they wanted, creating the “Spider-Gwen” spin-off series.

The series picks up events on Earth-65 right after Stacy’s return from the events in “Spider-Verse.” As a drummer, she has to deal with turmoil within her band “The Mary Janes,” but as Spider-Woman she struggles as a superhero who’s hated by the city and hunted by the police for her role in Parker’s death.

But really, behind the vibrant art that serves as the backdrop to Stacy’s white, magenta and cyan Spider-Woman costume, what’s most appealing about this version of Stacy is how they’ve made her so relatable to contemporary culture.

Stacy’s Spider-Woman costume is a modern look completed with footwear that was intentionally made to look like Chuck Taylors. She injects “Breaking Bad” references into her quips at supervisions. At one point, she includes the possibility of other people seeing her Internet search history in her lament about losing her phone.

The series also pokes fun at hipster culture, when Mary Jane Watson remarks how Stacy’s makeshift outfit from a sweater found in a dumpster makes her “awesome.” That, plus she also has a general detest for the mainstream Manhattan.

There’s also the appeal for longtime readers of comic books, like me, who get to indulge in an Easter-egg hunt for various well-established Marvel characters who appear in very different roles. There’s the Thing, who shows up as a regular police officer, or Daredevil, who in this universe serves as an unscrupulous attorney for the Kingpin – a far cry from their regular depictions as archenemies.

Marvel has always been known to publish alternate universe stories told in one issue under the “What If?” label. “Edge of Spider-Verse” issue two essentially fits that mold, but it was the appeal and demand from the fans that breathed new life into Stacy’s character and the “Spider-Gwen” series.

So while the life of Gwen Stacy of the regular Marvel comic book universe remains as a memory, this version of the character still has a future of stories to be told.

Aubrey Yeo

Who’s your favorite Marvel superhero not seen on the silver screen? Email Yeo at [email protected].

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus