Men seen peeping into apartments on Ophir Drive, Levering Avenue

By Daily Bruin

This post was updated on July 8 at 12:25 a.m.

A man was seen peeping into an Ophir Drive student apartment twice this weekend, early Saturday and Sunday morning.

In another incident, students in an apartment near the corner of Levering and Veteran Avenues said they saw a man peeping into their living room Thursday night, using what appeared to be a smartphone light to look inside.

A UCLA student who lives in the Ophir Drive apartment said her roommate saw a shadow early Saturday morning through the window, where a blind had fallen off. She then walked to the window, looked outside and saw a man.

The man did not immediately leave when she went to get pepper spray.

The next evening, the students kept the blinds open and the lights on so they could see if the man was outside. About 1 a.m. Sunday, the student said she went to close the blinds and saw the man outside, and she made eye contact with him.

“He was so creepy – he perfectly matched what (my roommate) had told me,” the student said. “I somehow knew it was him, and I kind of freaked out.”

The student described the man as white and in his 40s, with angular features. He was wearing a hat and a black T-shirt.

The student said she now carries a taser, pepper spray and a flashlight because of the incident.

University police spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein said in an email statement that the man matches the description of a previous suspect. Greenstein said she could not immediately confirm which previous incidents the suspect was involved in, citing an ongoing investigation.

Students in the Levering Avenue apartment said they saw a man looking into their apartment Thursday night.

The students called police, who did not find the man.

Later, one of the students heard her patio door slam and the sound of someone attempting to open her living room window.

“I was sleeping, and through the corner of my eye … I looked up and saw a light through the blinds,” the student said.

They called police again, but the man had left.

The students described the man as wearing a long-sleeved shirt and long pants.

Several peepings have been reported in the North Village in recent months.

UCPD is searching for a man who officials say peered into apartments on Roebling and Kelton Avenues several times in late January and March. Police described the man as about 30 years old, black and between 5-feet-10-inches and 6 feet tall with a thin build.

In April, students reported a man peering into women’s shower stalls in Sproul Hall. The man was described as white, 35 to 40 years old and 5-feet-8-inches to 5-feet-9-inches tall with a stocky build, blond buzzed hair, blue eyes and wrinkles on his forehead.

A man was seen peeping into a Lindbrook Drive apartment in late June. The man was described as white, about 30 years old and 5-feet-10-inches tall with an average build and short, light brown hair.

University police have arrested two men recently in connection with peepings in Westwood apartments. Christopher Mendicino, 46, was arrested in May in connection with peepings on Kelton Avenue. In June, Paris Arnaud, 36, was arrested in connection with peepings on Roebling Avenue and and Kelton Avenue.

UCPD recommends that students be aware of their surroundings, lock their doors and windows, shut their blinds and contact police if they see anything suspicious.

Anyone with additional information regarding these incidents or similar peeping incidents can call UCPD at (310) 825-1491.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Daily Bruin