Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Daily Bruin wins seven awards at 66th annual Southern California Journalism Awards

Prizes from the Southern California Journalism Awards are pictured. The Daily Bruin received seven awards at the event, including Best College News Website. (Mia Tavares/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Lex Wang

The Daily Bruin received seven awards at the Southern California Journalism Awards on Sunday.

The Los Angeles Press Club hosted the 66th annual event at the Millennium Biltmore Hotel. Professional news outlets and collegiate newspapers gathered at the convention to honor journalists from across Southern California.

“Tonight, we celebrate some of the best journalism produced in the region in the past year,” said Lisa Richwine, the LA Press Club president, in the program’s introductory letter. “I always find it inspiring to see the range of impactful work made by committed journalists in an industry under intense pressure.”

The Bruin – led by 2023-2024 editor in chief Isabelle Friedman – collected one organizational award, which was for the Best College News Website.

Six individual awards were also given to Daily Bruin staff during the ceremony, including two in Campus Issues divisions. Dylan Winward, the News editor, won Best Feature Writing for “In Plain Sight: As students sleep, UCLA bakeries turn on the ovens.” Shaanth Kodialam, a News senior staffer, earned second place in Best News Writing for “UC community members call for systemic change, action against caste discrimination.”

Written by former Sports senior staffer Jack Nelson, “Nelson’s Noggin: Having found true star in Fangran Tian, UCLA women’s tennis can maximize future,” received second place in Sports Commentary – a category which included two nominees from the Los Angeles Times.

The Bruin also collected third place for former Design director Helen Quach’s “Rivalry Issue Spread” in the Page Design category. Alumnus Samia Saad’s “Carnival House” submission earned second place in the Editorial Cartoon category, while alumnus Shengfeng Chien’s “Angelenos take to streets of downtown Los Angeles in May Day march to City Hall” submission earned third place in the Best News Photo category.

Four works were also nominated as finalists for awards. “DIY Halloween-Themed Tote Bag” was recognized in the Graphic category, and the landing illustration in “Rivalry Issue 2023” was recognized in the Animation/Moving Graphic category.

The Bruin also secured nominations for “‘Institutional betrayal’: Students voice dissatisfaction with UCLA Title IX Office” and “Big. Gay. Party.” in an Investigative category and the Best Feature Writing in the Off Campus Issues division, respectively.

The full list of awards received are as follows:

Contributing reports from Sanjana Chadive and Mia Tavares, Daily Bruin senior staff.

Lex Wang | Editor in chief
Wang is the 2024-2025 editor in chief. She was previously the 2022-2023 Opinion editor and the 2023-2024 Enterprise editor. She is Arts and Quad staff and also contributes to Copy, News, Sports on the men's volleyball beat, Design, Photo and Video.

Large furnished room w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica. Only $995 per month includes 25% summer discount. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922