Tuesday, May 21, 2024

UCLA’s De Neve Late Night relaunches for increased evening meal options

Pictured are pizza boxes at De Neve Late Night. The dining option relaunched this quarter after UCLA Dining shored up staffing levels. (Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)

By Jonah Danesh and Eva Danesh

Bruins on the Hill are now enjoying midnight meals.

De Neve Late Night relaunched this quarter, offering build-your-own pizzas in the dining hall from 10 p.m. to midnight nightly. The move comes as part of an attempt to improve dining experiences for students after UCLA Dining shored up staffing, it previously told the Daily Bruin in an emailed statement.

UCLA has been rated number one for the best food on a college campus for five consecutive years by Niche, which served as a draw for incoming students, including Emma Wu, a first-year statistics and data science student.

“Food has always been a really big part of my life,” Wu said. “It was a really big factor in coming here.”

UCLA Dining maintains its reputation by having a wide variety of cuisine options and frequent menu expansions, said Arya Naeim, a second-year political science student.

“They’re always innovating and always adapting, which makes it the best of the country,” Naeim said.

[Related: UCLA Housing launches Epicuria at Covel, gives insight on dining operations]

As she was starting UCLA, Wu said she was excited to try all the dining options and wanted to share her experiences with her family, including her mother, who has encouraged her exploration of food.

This gave her the idea to create an Instagram account, @eatingwuu, to document everything she eats and connect with family and new friends, she added.

Wu said that by growing her account, she has been able to create connections and relationships with others – from fellow Bruins to fellow foodies.

Wu’s friends and followers have also been getting ideas of where to go and what to try on campus, she said, adding that the most interest is generated when UCLA Dining hosts special cuisine events and offers holiday exclusives and limited-edition foods.

“It’s fun when people see what I post, and they want to get the same thing,” Wu said.

This edition of De Neve Late Night is her first experience with an after-dinner option on the Hill, Wu said, one she anticipated after seeing fellow Bruins post their experiences from previous years online.

(Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)
Pictured is the pizza pickup desk at De Neve Late Night. (Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)

The Study at Hedrick was previously the only option for late-night food, Wu said, adding that she appreciates the variety she now has to choose from, especially since she is often studying at night.

Naeim said he appreciates having expanded options on the Hill that cater to schedules ending later at night, including for students who have club meetings that go past 9 p.m. when dining halls typically close their doors.

Josh Golshirazi, a second-year biochemistry student, said Bruins would often have to rush to a dining hall before its closing time if they wanted to catch dinner.

“If you have extracurricular activities or something that is at night, … it is a little rush to get to some of the dining halls before nine when they close,” he said. “It’s nice to have something open later for students to get a bite.”

Golshirazi also said De Neve Late Night provides versatility to the dining hall system as students are given the opportunity to use their swipes when seeking food in the evening as opposed to purchasing something on their own.

Jaden Penhaskashi, a second-year computational and systems biology student, said he appreciates the attention paid to different diets – in the past, De Neve Late Night options were limited to items such as burgers and chicken tenders. However, students can now customize their pizzas based on their food preferences.

Penhaskashi added that this range of dining options adds to the vibrant and engaging aspects of living on the Hill. He said he particularly enjoys the often changing dining options, which make every meal unique and filling.

“That’s one of the best parts of the dorm life experience you can’t get otherwise,” he said.

Jonah Danesh