Sunday, April 28, 2024

Music preview: Green Day’s political rock and J.Lo’s comeback heat up winter season

(Anagha Srivatsav/Daily Bruin)

By Emma Mieszala, Skylar Fiebrich, Puja Anand, and Katy Nicholas

This post was updated Jan. 21 at 8:03 p.m.

Mirrorballs and metaphors mark this season’s music scene.

With the advent of a new year comes the time for reflection and renovation. From comebacks to sizzling debuts, artists are melting the musical frost this season.

Read on to discover the Daily Bruin’s picks for a sparkling winter quarter.

A greyscale image of an individual in front of a burning car comprises the center of the "SAVIORS" cover art. The latest Green Day album released today and includes the song "The American Dream Is Killing Me." (Courtesy of Reprise Records)
A greyscale image of an individual in front of a burning car comprises the center of the “SAVIORS” cover art. The latest Green Day album released Friday and includes the song “The American Dream Is Killing Me.” (Courtesy of Reprise Records)

“SAVIORS” by Green Day

Green Day does not paint the American government as anyone’s “SAVIORS” on its new album.

Released Friday, the band’s latest studio album is now part of a trifecta with previous albums “American Idiot” and “Dookie.” “SAVIORS” is another political rock album, echoing themes explored in earlier albums such as discontentment and general anxiety about the state of the nation. The album is its first with original music since 2020, and it marks the band’s reunion with producer Rob Cavallo for the first time in a decade.

To celebrate the release of its new album and the anniversaries of old ones, Green Day is planning an accompanying tour. Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong told Vulture the tour will honor the band’s most notable work and celebrate the years they have spent together. Attendees can expect a tour that will reminisce on the meaning behind big hits as well as diving into some of the band’s deep cuts. The band also played “The American Dream is Killing Me” and debuted “Look Ma, No Brains!” at Las Vegas’ “When We Were Young” music festival in October. Both tracks reflect the band’s spirit of angsty, punk-rock rebellion, appealing both to new fans and long-standing members of the Idiot Nation.

Green Day might have lost its faith in the American dream, but it can always count on fans to welcome new music with open arms.

– Emma Mieszala

[Related: Second Take: Historical dramas prefer to preserve neo-aristocracy, romanticize ruling class]

Detroit band Mac Saturn is surrounded by falling papers, reading "Contract" in large red letters. Its debut album, "Hard To Sell," will release on Jan. 26, coinciding with the first stop on the "Hard To Sell Tour." (Courtesy of Saturn Sounds)
Detroit band Mac Saturn is surrounded by falling papers, reading “Contract” in large red letters. Its debut album, “Hard To Sell,” will release on Jan. 26, coinciding with the first stop on the “Hard To Sell Tour.” (Courtesy of Saturn Sounds)

“Hard to Sell” by Mac Saturn

Mac Saturn’s sound is on a one-track trip from Motown to its listeners’ hearts.

The Detroit rockers are set to release their debut album “Hard to Sell” on Jan. 26. Featuring songs from the band’s first EP, “Until the Money Runs Out,” the record promises a contagious groove and a sound that pays homage to old rock and roll while adding their own interpretation of the genre. Produced at Rust Belt Studios, who have worked with the likes of Greta Van Fleet and Foster the People’s Mark Foster, “Hard to Sell” is designed to be performed live, beginning Jan. 26 with the start of Mac Saturn’s national tour.

The album’s lead single, “Mint Julep,” tells the story of a “love worth fighting for” through its uplifting chorus and background harmonies. Another pre-release track, “Sleep,” acts as a hypnotic and aching anthem with its rhythmic drum beats interspaced with sassy guitar lines. With the contagious voice of the band’s lead singer, Carson Macc, “Hard to Sell” is sure to invoke smiles.

Although its title may disagree, Mac Saturn’s album won’t be “Hard to Sell.”

– Skylar Fiebrich

Popstar Jennifer Lopez runs her hands through voluminous hair on the cover of her Feb. 16 album. Presumably a sequel to 2002&squot;s "This Is Me... Then," "This Is Me... Now" and its accompanying film hint at exploring themes of finding love amidst public scrutiny (Courtesy of BMG)
Pop star Jennifer Lopez runs her hands through voluminous hair on the cover of her Feb. 16 album. Presumably a sequel to 2002’s “This Is Me… Then,” “This Is Me… Now” and its accompanying film hint at exploring themes of finding love amid public scrutiny (Courtesy of BMG)

“This Is Me… Now” by Jennifer Lopez

After a decade of silence, Jennifer Lopez is back to tell the world exactly who she is.

Set to release Feb. 16, the pop idol’s comeback album, “This is Me… Now,” reminisces on her 2002 hit album “This is Me… Then.” Beyond parallel titles, the sister albums come together in their focus on Lopez’s relationship with Ben Affleck, with the latter even boasting a sequel song “Dear Ben Pt. II.” Furthermore, the title of the penultimate track, “Midnight Train to Vegas,” references their secret wedding in July 2022, a clear marker of the album’s “Bennifer”-heavy inspiration.

Ahead of the album’s release, Lopez has dropped her newest single, “Can’t Get Enough.” The upbeat lyrics and groovy R&B undertones set the scene for her upcoming music. The song’s music video gives audiences an inkling into Lopez’s mindset for the album. Featuring three weddings, the video hints at the plethora of media attention and opinions that surrounded her illustrious love life. Lopez’s return comes with a visual component for eager fans – a film of the same name acquired by Amazon MGM Studios. In line with “Can’t Get Enough,” the film is a personal commentary on the public scrutiny that shrouded her journey to find love.

From heartbreak anthems to party beats, Lopez’ newest endeavor states that she is still the iconic “Jenny from the Block.”

– Puja Anand

[Related: Film preview: New action-packed theatrical releases bring thrills to winter chill]

In the retro-style "bleachers" album cover, a man in a simple tee and slacks leans against a car and waves. The band&squot;s self-titled album contains 14 new tracks and will be released on March 8. (Courtesy of Dirty Hit Records)
In the retro-style “bleachers” album cover, a man in a simple tee and slacks leans against a car and waves. The band’s self-titled album contains 14 new tracks and will be released March 8. (Courtesy of Dirty Hit Records)

“bleachers” by bleachers

The bleachers’ newest album is right on time.

As announced on Instagram, bleachers’ fourth studio album will be released March 8. A self-titled album, “bleachers” contains 14 new songs, including the title track “I Am Right On Time.” The band’s last album, “Take the Sadness Out of Saturday Night,” was released in 2021, but it has since recorded some live collections while on tour. The six-member band infuses a retro sound reminiscent of the 80s and 90s, specializing in rock and emphasizing production techniques. With the album release announcement also came a summer tour announcement.

Last month, bleachers released the music video for “Alma Mater,” one of the singles from the album. The music video follows lead singer, Jack Antonoff, on a drive through familiar New Jersey landmarks as well as hazy, unidentifiable streets. With a somber, reminiscent tone, vocals from Lana Del Rey and references to “The Great Gatsby,” the song conveys the message of longing for what has once been. This song starkly contrasts “Modern Girl,” an upbeat and saxophone-heavy jam, which premiered live on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” in November. The third single from the album, “Tiny Moves,” was released earlier this week.

With all of this activity, it is clear to see that bleachers isn’t waiting on the side lines.

– Katy Nicholas

Emma Mieszala