Sunday, April 28, 2024

Emmy 2024: Daily Bruin casts predictions for winners of 75th Primetime Emmy Awards

(Alston Kao/Daily Bruin)

By Victoria Munck, Lex Wang, Yuna Choi, Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon, Maya Vibhakar, and Sanjana Chadive

For its diamond anniversary, the Emmys are brimming with shining stars.

On Monday night, the 75th annual Emmy Awards will once again applaud excellence across the television industry, live from Los Angeles’ Peacock Theater. Following two of Hollywood’s longest strikes, the ceremony will find a wide range of programs contending for the gold, including a compelling family tragedy and a spirited soccer series.

Read on for the Daily Bruin’s predictions of the winners for six of the evening’s biggest categories.

(Courtesy of Netflix)
Based on the 1991 classic “The Addams Family,” Netflix’s “Wednesday” is nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series. (Courtesy of Netflix)

Outstanding Comedy Series: “Wednesday”

Wednesday’s child may be full of woe, but this upcoming Monday has the potential to bring good fortune.

An expansion of the iconic 1991 “Addams Family” universe, the Netflix series “Wednesday” chronicles the coming-of-age story of its titular character Wednesday Addams – who, upon her arrival at Gothic-style boarding school Nevermore, finds herself embroiled in a series of murders occurring in the local town. Directed in part by Tim Burton, the comedy horror show has perfected the art of macabre humor and executed it flawlessly. With Jenna Ortega’s deadpan performance that satirizes the supernatural and the eerily captivating situations her eccentric supporting cast becomes involved in, it’s unsurprising to see that the show has reached levels of stardom ever since its release.

Despite the influence of this pop culture sensation, frontrunner Apple TV+’s “Ted Lasso” – which won Outstanding Comedy series in both 2021 and 2022 – may prove to be the toughest competition for “Wednesday” to overcome. Now looking to earn the award for the third time in a row, “Ted Lasso” with all of the titular character’s optimistic charisma seems to be a natural choice to win. However, the underdog “Wednesday” – and all of her morbid charm that hits the sweet spot time and time again – may defy all expectations and odds.

With a hauntingly amusing plot and cast, fans will hardly blink when “Wednesday” secures an Emmy.

– Lex Wang

[Related: TV preview: Upcoming shows promise an autumn filled with vampires, superheroes and more]

(Courtesy of HBO)
Kieran Culkin earned his third Emmy nomination for his portrayal of Roman Roy in “Succession,” this time in the Outstanding Lead Actor category. (Courtesy of HBO)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Kieran Culkin, “Succession”

Roman Roy might not be the “number one boy,” but Kieran Culkin certainly will be.

Ending his run as Roman in the fourth and final season of HBO’s family drama “Succession,” Culkin artfully delivers a gripping performance that is sure to end his series-long losing streak. When his character’s traditional wisecracks are interrupted by an unexpected tragedy, Culkin unveils an excruciatingly raw portrayal that the Television Academy cannot fail to recognize.

Culkin takes his first steps toward the gold in the episode “Connor’s Wedding,” in which he exposes the first cracks in Roman’s audacious exterior, combating grief and denial upon receiving the most staggering news of the entire series. However, it is in “Church and State” that Culkin stuns in a career-best performance, masterfully executing a poignant script to create a television experience unlike any other. His immaculate portrayal of Roman at his father’s funeral – crumbling like a child in a pool of harrowing sobs – guarantees that he is deserving of every award in the book.

After earning two nominations in the supporting actor category, Culkin submitted his performance as a lead this year, pitting him against the talent of his co-stars Brian Cox and Jeremy Strong. Nonetheless, Logan’s death at the beginning of the season leaves Cox’s chance of victory laughably low. While Strong closes the series with a chilling, tragic portrayal of Kendall, he fails to match the visceral devastation and impressive range that Culkin exhibits this time around.

You don’t need a will and testament to know that the Emmy award is rightfully Culkin’s.

– Victoria Munck

(Courtesy of HBO)
After winning a Golden Globe for her “Succession” role, Sarah Snook is nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series at the Emmys. (Courtesy of HBO)

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Sarah Snook, “Succession”

While Shiv Roy may struggle with declining, Sarah Snook will have no trouble “clining” an Emmy.

As “Succession” wraps up its fourth and final season, Snook wows viewers with her nuanced portrayal of Shiv Roy, the political fixer and the youngest in the Roy family. Being the only woman in an uneven playing field, Shiv battles patriarchal figures, juggling lies and betrayal, while breaking free of the cookie cutter definition of a strong female character. In the episode “Tailgate Party,” Snook masterfully depicts a hurting woman spiraling into destruction, demonstrating how Shiv may be far from a hero – but not someone viewers can quite hate.

While Snook has received two previous nominations as a supporting actress and has won other deserving awards such as a Golden Globe, she has yet to take home an Emmy. Also nominated in the category is Bella Ramsey for her portrayal as Ellie in the video game adaptation “The Last of Us.” The young star showed an artful performance of grit and emotion while surviving a horror-filled apocalypse, likely causing viewers to split their votes.

Nonetheless, Snook’s unapologetically raw performance will ensure her another rightful addition to her shelf.

– Yuna Choi

[Related: ‘Succession’ season 4 recap – episode 7: ‘Tailgate Party’]

(Courtesy of Apple TV+)
Two-time Emmy winner Jason Sudeikis is nominated for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for the titular role of “Ted Lasso." (Courtesy of Apple TV+)

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: Jason Sudeikis, “Ted Lasso”

This diamond anniversary, the Diamond Dog himself is going for a hat trick.

Starring as the titular role in Apple TV+’s top center soccer-infused comedy “Ted Lasso,” Jason Sudeikis has already scored two Emmy wins in the same category – and for good reason. The Fairfax-born comedian brings vivacity to his role as the endearing coach, delivering a performance that resonates with audiences throughout the laughs and tears. From large-scale slapstick humor to miniscule flicks of the eyes, Sudeikis performs Ted Lasso with his full spirit.

Let there be no mistake: While Sudeikis excels at his comedic craft, he is far from a caricature. Even in emotionally driven scenes, the Virginian maintains his characteristic charm without feeling overly animated, delicately balancing Lasso’s quirk with humanity. For accomplishing this feat, especially in the comedy genre, Sudeikis deserves to take home the prize. However, in the spirit of “Ted Lasso,” the impact of his performance and the collective growth of the cast is the true reward.

Win or lose, Sudeikis has already proven he has embraced “The Richmond Way.”

– Leydi Cris Cobo Cordon

(Courtesy of Sony Pictures Television)
Rhea Seehorn is nominated for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for her performance as Kim Wexler in the sixth and final season of “Better Call Saul.” (Courtesy of Sony Pictures Television)

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Rhea Seehorn, “Better Call Saul”

Rhea Seehorn is going out with a bang – and possibly an Emmy.

With “Better Call Saul” having wrapped its sixth and final season, this is Seehorn’s last chance to win for her portrayal of Kim Wexler, the determined yet morally conflicted Albuquerque lawyer and love interest of Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). At first glance, Seehorn is an underdog nominee, facing stiff competition from Jennifer Coolidge, who is nominated for “The White Lotus” and took home an Emmy last year for the role. Additionally, the “Breaking Bad” spinoff has never been an Emmys favorite, with 53 nominations but zero wins.

However, the sixth season finally shifted the show from a slow-paced drama to a high-stakes, emotional finale that gave Seehorn the material needed to win over Television Academy voters. Specifically, Seehorn’s performance in the penultimate episode “Waterworks” is some of her best work. From the tense scene in which Kim confesses to her and Saul’s manipulative plot to her emotional breakdown on the bus, Seehorn delivers a masterful performance as a woman haunted by guilt.

After years of delivering a standout performance brimming with nuance and emotional complexity, Rhea Seehorn better take the Emmy.

– Maya Vibhakar

(Courtesy of HBO)
After winning an Emmy for the same role in 2022, Matthew Macfadyen is nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his work as Tom Wambsgans in “Succession." (Courtesy of HBO)

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Matthew Macfadyen, “Succession”

You can’t make a Tomelette without breaking some Greggs – and a few tourists.

Matthew Macfadyen is once again poised to take home the gold for his meticulously crafted portrayal of Tom Wambsgans in the fourth and final season of HBO’s “Succession.” Throughout the series, Macfadyen deftly exhibits the complex and seemingly paradoxical characteristics of a ruthlessly ambitious man who is constantly belittled by his wife (Snook) and her family because of his more humble background.

Previously nabbing an Emmy for the same role in 2022, Macfadyen is already the favorite to claim this year’s award. He also faces almost no competition, as he is up against four actors from “The White Lotus,” whose characters are far less memorable than his. The closest contender is Macfadyen’s own co-star Alan Ruck. Although Ruck is exceptional as Connor Roy, he isn’t given an arc as heartbreaking – yet fulfilling – as Macfadyen’s.

Moreover, Macfadyen cements his win in the episode “Tailgate Party,” specifically when Tom and Shiv air out all their grievances about their marriage. Viewers who loathe Tom will undoubtedly feel sympathy for him as he finally vocalizes the disrespect he feels in his union, all thanks to Macfadyen’s devastatingly flawless performance. As a result, audiences are nothing short of satisfied when the ever-so tenacious Tom is appointed as CEO of Waystar Royco in the series finale.

Like his character, Macfadyen will surely win it all.

– Sanjana Chadive

Victoria Munck | Theater | film | television editor
Munck is the 2023-2024 theater | film | television editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2022-2023. She is a second-year communication student from Granada Hills, California.
Lex Wang | Enterprise editor
Wang is the 2023-2024 Enterprise editor. Previously, she was the 2022-2023 Opinion editor, and prior to that, an assistant Opinion editor. She is Arts and Quad staff and also contributes to News, Sports on the men's volleyball beat, Copy, Design, Photo and Video.
Cobo Cordon is the 2023-2024 music | fine arts editor. She was previously an Arts reporter. She is also a second-year student from northern Virginia.
Sanjana Chadive | Lifestyle editor
Chadive is the 2023-2024 lifestyle editor. She was previously an Arts staff writer from 2022-2023. She is a third-year comparative literature student from Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania.