Sunday, May 5, 2024

Former UCLA Chancellor Charles E. Young dies at age 91

Former UCLA Chancellor Charles E. Young is pictured. Young, who served as chancellor for nearly 30 years, died at age 91 on Sunday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

Former UCLA Chancellor Charles E. Young died Sunday at age 91. 

Young – who was chancellor from 1968 to 1997 – was the youngest chancellor in the history of the UC system when appointed at age 36. He graduated from UC Riverside in 1955 with a degree in political science and received a master’s and doctorate in political science in 1957 and 1962, respectively, from UCLA. 

Young previously served as assistant to the chancellor, assistant chancellor and vice chancellor for administration, as well as a professor in political science, at UCLA. 

After leaving UCLA, he served as president of the University of Florida from 1999 to 2003. 

Charles E. Young Drive, Charles E. Young Research Library and the Charles E. Young Grand Salon are all named after him. 

“During his long tenure, Chuck Young guided UCLA toward what it is today: one of the nation’s most comprehensive and respected research universities and one that is profoundly dedicated to inclusiveness and diversity,” said Chancellor Gene Block in a UCLA Newsroom announcement. “He faced head-on the many challenges of his time, and his principled leadership positioned UCLA to meet the many challenges of the future.”

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.