Sunday, April 28, 2024

Film preview: Fall’s forthcoming films include historical adaptations, franchise favorites

(By Ashley Ko/Illustrations Director)

By Graciana Paxton, Maya Vibhakar, Puja Anand, Paria Honardoust, and Nicolas Greamo

This post was updated Oct. 1 at 10:32 p.m.

Fresh films are falling into theaters like the leaves from trees.

Audiences will surely be eager to cozy up with a new flick as the weather grows cooler this season. With new installments of acclaimed franchises and chilling new crime dramas, autumn’s extensive lineup of premieres is guaranteed to entertain viewers.

Read on to warm up with the Daily Bruin’s fall film picks.

[Related: TV preview: Upcoming shows promise an autumn filled with vampires, superheroes and more]

(Courtesy of Amazon Studios)
Paul Mescal and Saoirse Ronan (left to right) play Junior and Hen in “FOE.” An adaptation of Iain Reid’s suspense novel of the same name, the thriller will premiere Oct. 6. (Courtesy of Amazon Studios)

“FOE” (Amazon Studios)

Fueled by immersive visuals and a high-caliber cast, Garth Davis’ “FOE” is ready for takeoff.

Set in 2065, “FOE” serves as an adaptation of Iain Reid’s suspense novel of the same name. The futuristic thriller stars Paul Mescal and Saoirse Ronan as Junior and Hen, a married couple whose quiet farm life is disrupted by an unexpected intergalactic proposition from a mysterious visitor named Terrance (Aaron Pierre). Following its debut at this year’s New York Film Festival, the film is set to release Oct. 6.

In the film’s trailer, Terrance explains that his aerospace technology company has chosen Junior to be sent to a space station where he will reside for several years. He then informs Junior – who is reluctant to leave his wife behind – that a robotic duplicate will serve in his place to keep Hen company. Alongside warm-toned cinematography and a tense score, the trailer offers suspenseful glimpses into the film’s exploration of autonomy, technology and intimacy.

As elevated stakes threaten to unravel Junior and Hen’s relationship, it’s all systems go for “FOE.”

Graciana Paxton

(Courtesy of Apple TV+)
Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio (left to right) play William Hale and Ernest Burkhart in Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Adapted from David Grann’s 2017 nonfiction book of the same name, the 1920s period piece will hit theaters Oct. 20. (Courtesy of Apple TV+)

“Killers of the Flower Moon” (Apple TV+, Paramount Pictures)

Murder and mystery wrack Oklahoma in Martin Scorsese’s new Western.

Adapted from David Grann’s 2017 nonfiction book of the same name, Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon” is a 1920s period drama centered around the true story of the Osage Nation murders and their subsequent investigation. The film, which premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May and will be released in theaters Oct. 20, stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro and Lily Gladstone with Jesse Plemons, Tantoo Cardinal and Brendan Fraser in supporting roles.

The latest trailer features De Niro as William Hale, a powerful political figure in Osage County who has his eye on the oil deposits controlled by the native Osage people. Alongside Hale is his compliant nephew Ernest Burkhart (DiCaprio), who agrees to his uncle’s plan to marry him to Osage woman Mollie Kyle (Gladstone) in hopes of inheriting her family’s fortune. The trailer hints that this marriage ultimately tests Burkhart’s loyalties as Hale’s schemes become more violent and contentious, leading to a fateful string of murders against the Osage people.

Led by a seasoned director and featuring an accomplished cast, “Killers of the Flower Moon” is looking to be a shocking piece of history deserving of this on-screen depiction.

Maya Vibhakar

(Courtesy of Disney)
Brie Larson stars as Captain Marvel in “The Marvels.” She will team up with Teyonah Parris and Iman Vellani in the sequel film, which is set to release Nov. 10. (Courtesy of Disney)

“The Marvels” (Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures)

Marvel Cinematic Universe fans are in for yet another marvelous sci-fi adventure.

Carol Danvers, otherwise known as Captain Marvel, will illuminate the silver screen once more Nov. 10. A sequel to the blockbuster film “Captain Marvel,” “The Marvels” finds Danvers (Brie Larson) newly liberated from the vengeful Kree and exploring the galaxy untethered. However, in the wake of Thanos’ destruction in “Avengers: Endgame,” the cosmic superhero is faced with saving an exceedingly unstable universe – but she is not alone.

As the next installment in Phase Five of the MCU, “The Marvels” picturizes a new team of heroes: Danvers is joined by Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris), the daughter of Danvers’ Air Force best friend Maria Rambeau, and Kamala Khan (Iman Vellani), the heroine Ms. Marvel. In a twist of fate – and ominous wormholes – the three heroes’ lives get mysteriously entangled, allowing them to spontaneously adopt each other’s powers. Though the female-driven cast is a welcome change to the masculine “Avengers,” director Nia DaCosta’s mention of Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige’s influence harkens to a much-too-familiar Marvel formula. The trailer teases classic CGI-driven fights, quippy humor, the omnipresent Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) and abundant easter eggs that are sure to please eager fans nonetheless.

Audiences should prepare for a lighthearted space voyage into the much-beloved Marvel universe.

Puja Anand

Tom Blyth and Rachel Zegler (left to right) star as Coriolanus Snow and Lucy Gray Baird in “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.” A prequel to the famous “The Hunger Games” series, the film is set to release Nov. 17. (Courtesy of Murray Close)

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” (Lionsgate)

An explosive new film release may reignite an old flame.

Nearly a decade after the final film adaption of Suzanne Collins’ record-breaking “The Hunger Games” trilogy, the prequel book “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is joining its sister series on screen Nov. 17. Featuring a star-studded cast with Rachel Zegler as Lucy Gray Baird, Tom Blyth as Coriolanus Snow and Hunter Schafer as Tigris Snow, the film is anticipated to hit theaters with a spark, potentially reigniting the frenzied fandom once more.

However, the fandom will need to bid farewell to the well-loved “The Hunger Games” protagonists, as the film follows the morally gray Coriolanus Snow – previously characterized as the villainous President Snow, who conspired to squash Katniss Everdeen and the growing resistance 64 years later in the dystopian world of Panem. “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” appears to illuminate Snow’s intricacies with a story from his past. In the film, 18-year-old pre-President Snow grapples with sustaining his family lineage in the postwar Capitol as he is assigned to mentor the District 12 tribute Lucy Gray Baird in the 10th Hunger Games. Snow believes Baird may have an inkling of a chance with her willful charm and defiance, which have piqued the interest of the Capitol post-reaping. Leveraging that hope, Snow and Baird undertake a cunning journey of showmanship to veer their fate while simultaneously bolstering his Capitol agenda.

With this highly anticipated release, audiences may learn how to fight fire with Snow.

Paria Honardoust

[Related: Book Preview: Fall 2023 to see Britney Spears’ memoir, return of Percy Jackson]

(Courtesy of Apple TV+)
Vanessa Kirby and Joaquin Phoenix (left to right) play Empress Joséphine de Beauharnais and Napoleon Bonaparte in “Napoleon.” Ridley Scott’s new historical epic will premiere Nov. 22.(Courtesy of Apple TV+)

“Napoleon” (Apple TV+, Columbia Pictures)

Bringing the life of the little corporal to the big screen will be a tall task for Ridley Scott’s new historical epic.

Set to release Nov. 22, “Napoleon” presents the rise and fall of its titular subject from soldier to emperor amid the tumultuous aftermath of the French Revolution. The historical drama’s emotional core, however, will be the turbulent relationship between Empress Joséphine de Beauharnais (Vanessa Kirby) and Napolean Bonaparte (Joaquin Phoenix).

The film’s trailer follows Napoleon’s ascension, from his suppression of a royalist insurrection in the streets of Paris to his coup against the Directory that allowed Napoleon to seize control of the French government. The trailer concludes with Napoleon’s artillery bombarding a frozen pond to entrap Russian forces fleeing after the decisive French victory at Austerlitz. Beyond the action spectacle, the film will depend not only on the strength of Kirby’s and Phoenix’s performances but also on how it addresses Napoleon’s controversial legacy, encompassing the devastating European wars he waged and his efforts to reinstitute slavery in France’s overseas colonies, most notably in Haiti.

Moviegoers must wait until November to see what “Napoleon” will make of its subject and the long shadow he casts over history.

Nicolas Greamo

Graciana Paxton | Music | fine arts editor
Paxton is the 2022-2023 music | fine arts editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2021-2022. She is also a third-year psychobiology student from Morgan Hill, California.
Nicolas Greamo | Assistant Opinion editor
Nicolas Greamo is a 2023-2024 assistant Opinion editor. He was previously a 2022-2023 assistant Opinion editor and a Photo contributor. He is also a third-year history student from Washington, D.C.