The UC receives most US utility patents among higher education institutions

The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center is pictured. The UC was granted the most U.S. utility patents out of all higher education institutions worldwide with 570. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

In 2022, more United States utility patents were granted to the UC than any other higher education institution in the world, according to a ranking by the National Academy of Inventors.

The University was granted 570 utility patents – which are given upon the creation of a new or improved invention, such as a process or machine – over the course of the year. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, which was ranked second, received 343 patents.

The UC has been the top recipient of patents each year since 2013, which was when the first ranking was published. However, there has been a steady decrease in the number of patents granted to the UC since 2019 when it was granted 631. It was granted 589 patents in 2021.

Other California institutions also ranked in the top 100. Stanford University ranked sixth with 184 patents, the California Institute of Technology ranked ninth with 164 patents, and the University of Southern California ranked 42nd with 75 patents, tying with Ohio State University.

“The UC system has a vibrant culture of innovation, entrepreneurship and cross-disciplinary collaboration across our 10 campuses, so it’s gratifying to see that reflected in this ranking from the National Academy of Inventors,” said Theresa Maldonado, the UC’s vice president for research and innovation, in a press release. “As a public institution, our faculty and researchers are working to improve lives every day with their groundbreaking work.”

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.