Student Mariah Hernandez spotlights strong Latina characters in directorial debut

(Grace Wilson/Daily Bruin)

By Ruwani Jayasekara

This article was updated May 2 at 8:35 p.m.

Mariah Hernandez is embracing unconventional forms of self-love in her upcoming film, “Self-Love, Mija!”

The fourth-year English student and member of UCLA’s Latine Film and Theatre Association made her film directorial debut exploring young womanhood and the significance of friendship in one’s healing journey, Hernandez said. Entering UCLA without prior film experience, Hernandez said LFTA presented her with the opportunity to delve into an art form she had been interested in but never explored. Beginning primarily as a writer, she said LFTA provided her with the encouragement she needed to challenge herself in a larger, directorial role.

“(There are) ideas that I’m scared to put out, especially because there’s not a lot of diversity in narratives in general,” Hernandez said. “I’ve just felt so supported, and I feel I’ve been able to confidently express my vision and really experiment and also be honest about what it is that I’m aiming for.”

(Courtesy of Natalia Delgado and Alan Gallardo)
Cynthia Robles smashes a watermelon. The film follows Liz as she attempts to get over her friend with benefits through a self-care day with her friends. (Courtesy of Natalia Delgado and Alan Gallardo)

[Related: UCLA alumnus explores intersection between passion and expectation through film]

Following a college girl’s breakup with her friend with benefits, “Self-Love, Mija!” tells her story as she sets out on her own version of a self-care Saturday with her two friends in tow, Hernandez said. As she explores self-love through a comedic lens, Hernandez said the film’s title pokes fun at the culture of toxic positivity, emphasizing that the concept of self-love is more intricate than its oversimplified interpretation. By shrouding difficult feelings in a cloud of positivity, she said toxic self-love can be invalidating and that allowing oneself to fully feel their emotions is essential to healing from them.

“Self-love doesn’t come in a singular form,” Hernandez said. “It’s not necessarily just doing the whole yoga thing or meditation – there’s other ways that are maybe a little more unconventional. As a culture, there’s a big emphasis on individuality, but it’s important to also acknowledge that there is a community that can help you take those steps towards healing.”

Director of photography and fourth-year film and television student Natalia Delgado said the film is significant in providing representation for young Latina women. Recognizing that the film was a primarily women-centered project, Delgado said she was inspired by the chance to reframe the way strong Latina characters were portrayed in media. Fueled by the lack of Latino representation in the film industry, Delgado held a leadership role in LFTA’s program during her time at UCLA to bring more opportunities to underrepresented groups, she said.

“What LFTA strives for is to provide that experience (in filmmaking) for people who might not have been able to have access to those resources otherwise,” Delgado said. “I wanted to be involved in this (organization) as much as I could because I see what it does for the members. I see their confidence grow and them becoming an artist that they never knew they could be.”

As a former member of LFTA during her undergraduate years, lead actress and graduate student in world arts and cultures Lissett Vega said she watched Hernandez grow into the director she is today and was inspired by the story’s focus on the female perspective. Vega said playing the heartbroken Liz was a reawakening for her, as she was reminded of the power of vulnerability and self-expression. Hernandez’s dedication to portraying strong women of color on screen opened her eyes to the possibilities that can come from a woman-led project, Vega said.

Lissett Vega lies on the floor surrounded by candles. The film emphasizes the importance of female friendships. (Courtesy of Natalia Delgado and Alan Gallardo)

[Related: UCLA Latinx Film and Theatre Association builds student creativity in safe space]

Her primary focus in writing the film, Hernandez said, was to create powerful on-screen characters that felt authentic and relatable rather than adding to the myriad of existing stereotypes placed on women of color. Hernandez said she is often critical of scripts involving Latina characters as they often provide overly sexualized or stereotyped representations that are damaging for young Latina viewers. Paying homage to her relationship with her Latina sorority sisters, Hernandez added that the film was heavily inspired by the positive female friendships in her own life.

“There is so much value in friendship that we often underestimate,” Hernandez said. “Especially when romantic love is prioritized in society, finding the value in these different relationships is a different type of love, but not less than this romantic love.”

Ruwani Jayasekara