Love is inclusive and not so alien in the intergalactic musical ‘Come Get Maggie’

The cast of “Come Get Maggie” performs on stage. The musical was written by alumnus Diane Frolov. (Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)

“Come Get Maggie”

Feb. 11 - Mar. 26 

Rogue Machine Theatre

Price Varies

By Amelie Ionescu

This post was updated Feb.12 at 10:02 p.m.

Love will be transcending the planets in “Come Get Maggie.”

Written by alumnus Diane Frolov, the musical features an intergalactic love story between a human, Maggie (Melanie Neilan), and an alien. Frolov worked closely with fellow alumnus Susan Justin, the composer and lyricist, to transform her original script – which was the play she wrote for her thesis at UCLA – into the current production. Justin said it showcases a comical tale full of whimsical characters and humorous moments.

“The thing that I liked the most about the show is it’s really funny,” Justin said. “It’s a farce, it’s not about anything very serious, and it’s got a lot of jokes. There’s a lot of giggling in the audience, and I love that – especially after COVID – that you could sit in a room full of people and everybody’s laughing is just joy.”

(Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)
Melanie Neila (left) and Dennis Renard (right) play Maggie and Varex in “Come Get Maggie.” The musical features an intergalactic love story between a human and an alien. (Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)

[Related: ‘Driver’s Seat’ challenges conventional portrayals of queerness, mental health]

Although they both attended UCLA at the same time, Frolov and Justin didn’t meet to begin collaborating on “Come Get Maggie” until years later, Justin said. Nevertheless, the project has been ongoing since 2009, Justin said, with both working together on the lyrics, while Justin composed the music and Frolov adapted her script.

While “Come Get Maggie” has gone through many changes throughout the years, Frolov said the general theme and love story have remained intact. She said love is one of the most important themes in the play, and she hopes that audiences will take away that love changes and unites people, proving to be a jumping board for inclusivity.

“Loving one another is that inclusivity of accepting every people as they are,” Frolov said. “Inclusivity is a really big part of it.”

Alongside themes of inclusivity, the musical highlights the importance of diversity, specifically rejoicing in people’s differences and not allowing anything to keep someone from living their best life. Justin said the duo went through multiple readings before the director and actors were ultimately attached, all of whom saw the vision that Justin and Frolov spent years cultivating. However, Justin said the project could not have come to fruition without her time as a Bruin and the faculty assistance and experiences she gained while at UCLA.

“I have used every single thing that I learned in that music department,” Justin said. “I’ve worn many different musical hats, and that’s why I’ve been able to do it – because I learned a lot.”

(Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)
(From left to right) Chase Ramsey, Eddie Vona, Melanie Neilan and Dennis Renard perform in white lab coats. In addition to the script, Frolov also wrote the lyrics alongside fellow alumnus Susan Justin. (Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)

Justin added that her favorite part of the musical is its comedic factor, specifically in the song, “Starlight, Starbright,” which repeats several times throughout the performance and allows for the farce and the fun of the show to stand out. On the other hand, the song “Better Man” stuck out to Neilan, as she said the harmonies were some of the closest in terms of note arrangement in the show. Along with admiring the songs, Neilan said she decided to audition for the show because she resonated with the driven, scientific aspirations of Maggie upon reading the script.

“I’m so passionate about this character, and I agree with her so much,” Neilan said. “I relate to her so much that I have to be a part of it somehow, some way, and I knew that when I went to the audition, I was like, ‘I’m just going to have a blast.'”

Neilan retained the original perception of the character, as she found herself valuing her time in the role as much as she had anticipated, she said. Her favorite part of the process was watching the way the actors all made the musical come together, seeing the crowd laugh and cheer in sync, she added, highlighting the audience as crucial to the production. During the company’s audience preview, Neilan said she appreciated hearing the reactions, especially since the musical is fast-paced, punchy and funny in nature.

“That was my favorite moment,” Neilan said. “Because theater actors and producers and directors, we live for that feeling where you can bring together this group of pretty much strangers and some friends into a common space and have them share in this vibe, this collective effervescence and just be a part of something when we were able to achieve that with this play.”

(Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)
The cast of “Come Get Maggie” performs on a purple and pink-hued stage. The musical aims to spread the message of love and inclusivity. (Courtesy of John Perrin Flynn)

[Related: ‘Invincible — The Musical’ gives ‘Romeo and Juliet’ a name that smells as sweet]

As one of her favorite parts, Neilan said the production brings laughter and joy. Furthermore, Justin said the musical – brought to life by two women and centered around a female protagonist – clearly presents a female view, which is critical to the overarching theme. Overall, Justin said she hopes the audience takes away a message of belonging and comfort.

“I want them to come away with a feeling that differences between people on Earth and the fantasy of what it would be like on other planets,” Justin said. “It just reminds us that everyone needs to belong, and you know, wherever they come from, … they can be embraced.”

Amelie Ionescu | Sports senior staff
Ionescu was previously an assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, swim and dive and rowing beats, and a contributor on the women's tennis beat.