Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Horvath ekes out win over Hertzberg in Board of Supervisors race

Westwood is pictured. Lindsey Horvath officially declared victory over Robert Herztberg in the election to represent the 3rd District of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

Lindsey Horvath will be the next member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors representing the 3rd District.

The Board of Supervisors is the five-member governing body for the LA County, and the 3rd District – currently represented by retiring supervisor Sheila Kuehl – includes UCLA and Westwood, according to the office’s website. The board oversees the county budget, which was recently increased to around $39 billion, according to the LA Times. Horvath defeated Robert Hertzberg, California Senate majority leader and former State Assembly Speaker, receiving 52.24 percent of the vote as opposed to Hertzberg’s 47.76 percent, as reported by the LA County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk’s Office on Thursday. 

Hertzberg, who received endorsements from Gov. Gavin Newsom and Senator Alex Padilla, also conceded the race Thursday. The candidates progressed past the June 7 primary election after receiving the two highest vote percentages. 

[Related: Robert Hertzberg, Lindsey Horvath vie for LA County Board of Supervisors position

During her campaign, Horvath, a member of the West Hollywood City Council, expressed support for offering legal assistance and rent stabilization to people experiencing homelessness, as well as setting aside some housing developments for low-income individuals. She also said she aims to expand response teams for the national suicide prevention lifeline.

Hertzberg’s campaign focused on converting empty shopping malls and office buildings into affordable housing, implementing a push for mental health responses to serve the county and increasing funding for police forces. 

Hertzberg will leave the California Senate at the end of November after reaching his term limit. 

Horvath is expected to take office Dec. 5, according to the LA Times.

“I am humbled and honored that the voters have chosen me to serve as their next Supervisor,” Horvath said in a statement shared on Twitter. “I could not be more grateful for the opportunity to represent the people of District 3.”

Catherine Hamilton | National news and higher education editor
Hamilton is the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor. She was previously a national news contributor. She is also a second-year English and political science student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]