Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

Katy Young Yaroslavsky wins election to Los Angeles City Council District 5

Cars drive in front of the Los Angeles skyline. Katy Young Yaroslavsky won the election to become the LA City Council District 5 representative, beating her opponent Sam Yebri. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

This post was updated Nov. 15 at 10:39 p.m.

Katy Young Yaroslavsky will be the next Los Angeles City Council representative for District 5. 

Sam Yebri, a small business owner, officially conceded to Yaroslavsky in an email to his supporters Tuesday morning, according to CBS News. Yaroslavsky earned 58.34% of the vote to Yebri’s 41.66%, according to the LA County Registrar

[Related: District 5 candidates for LA City Council share election platforms

Yaroslavsky, a climate attorney who attended UCLA School of Law, campaigned on implementing police reform, increasing housing services and accelerating the electrification of transportation. Yebri focused on increasing the number of LAPD officers on patrol, expanding rental assistance and reducing fossil fuel dependency. 

The City Council is the 15-member governing body of LA. District 5 includes UCLA and Westwood and is currently represented by Paul Koretz, who cannot seek reelection because of term limits and who recently lost his bid for LA city controller. 

[Related: Kenneth Mejia declares victory over Paul Koretz in LA controller race]

The two candidates advanced past the June 7 election, with Yaroslavsky receiving almost 20 percentage points more of the votes than Yebri. The race continued to the Nov. 8 midterms because Yaroslavsky received 49% of the votes, just shy of the 50% requirement for election outright in the primary. 

Catherine Hamilton | National news and higher education editor
Hamilton is the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor. She was previously a national news contributor. She is also a second-year English and political science student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]