Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UCLA appoints Miguel García-Garibay as senior dean of UCLA College

Miguel García-Garibay is pictured. García-Garibay was appointed as senior dean of UCLA College on Tuesday, and he will also retain his current position as physical sciences dean. (Courtesy of UCLA)

By Catherine Hamilton

UCLA appointed current dean of physical sciences Miguel García-Garibay as senior dean of UCLA College on Tuesday.

Executive vice chancellor and provost Darnell Hunt announced the two-year term appointment of García-Garibay, which began Nov. 1. García-Garibay will also continue in his role as dean of physical sciences.

García-Garibay joined the College as a chemistry and biochemistry faculty member and became the physical sciences dean in 2016. He has since led research, inclusive education and faculty recruitment and retention efforts within the division, according to Hunt’s announcement.

[Related: UCLA chemistry professor appointed dean of division of physical sciences]

The deans of the College’s physical sciences, social sciences, life sciences, humanities and undergraduate education divisions oversee university-wide decisions, and García-Garibay will coordinate planning, budgeting and other policy development throughout the College, according to Hunt’s announcement.

“As dean (of physical sciences), he has provided thoughtful and strategic leadership to his division and the College while also developing a culture of cooperation and inclusion,” Hunt said in the announcement. “Chancellor Block and I look forward to working with Dean García-Garibay in this additional role for the benefit of the College and UCLA as a whole.”

Catherine Hamilton | National news and higher education editor
Hamilton is the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor. She was previously a national news contributor. She is also a second-year English and political science student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]