UC announces tentative contract agreement with Teamsters Local 2010 union

On Monday, the University of California announced an agreement to a tentative new contract with the Teamsters Local 2010 union, newly addressing salary progression, fair compensation and accessible health insurance. (Megan Cai/Assistant Photo editor)

By Constanza Montemayor

The University of California announced Monday that officials had reached a tentative agreement on a new four-year contract with the Teamsters Local 2010 union.

According to the press release, the contract would affect more than 11,000 administrative staff – such as clerical employees – and will be effective from July 2022 to June 2026 once approved by union members. The contract will address issues of fair compensation, accessible health insurance and salary progression over a four-year term meant to provide stability for both the UC and union members, according to the release.

The contract includes new across-the-board annual pay increases of 15% for union members over the course of the new contract and new support mechanisms for employee salary progression and also mandates that monthly health insurance premium contributions do not exceed $25 per employee, according to the release.

Teamsters previously held protests in March and May this year to call for fair compensation for workers, particularly increased salaries to compensate for current rates of inflation and transportation costs.

Letitia Silas, executive director of systemwide labor relations at the UC, said in the release that she hopes the new agreement will serve as an example for negotiations with other unions.

“Our dedicated colleagues play a vital role in UC’s delivery of world-class service to students, patients, faculty, staff and the public at large,” Silas said in the release. “We thank the Teamsters for their partnership and collaboration to produce a contract that recognizes these employees’ many contributions and their commitment and resilience over the past two and a half years throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Constanza Montemayor | News senior staff
Montemayor is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 News editor, the 2021-2022 features and student life editor, a News reporter, Photo contributor for the news beat and Arts contributor. She is also a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.