Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UC Board of Regents names UCLA student Merhawi Tesfai as 2023-2024 student regent

(Courtesy of Jamie Hall)

By Catherine Hamilton

This post was updated July 24 at 8:33 p.m.

The University of California Board of Regents appointed UCLA doctoral student Merhawi Tesfai as the 2023-2024 student regent Wednesday. 

Tesfai, a first-generation transfer doctoral student in social welfare, will be the 49th student regent and will have official voting privileges starting July 2023, according to a UC press release. Until he takes over as student regent, he will act as student regent-designate and will be able to participate in all board deliberations, according to the press release.

[Related: UC Berkeley law student to promote inclusivity, affordability as student regent

According to the Board of Regents policy, the student regent serves for one year as an agent on behalf of the people of the state of California, representing not only students but the economic, cultural and social diversity of the state.

The student regent is chosen by a panel of members appointed by the UC campus student body presidents, the UC Student Association and the UC Graduate and Professional Council, according to the press release. A special committee of regents then nominates one of the finalists to act as student regent.

With a background in counseling, Tesfai aims to increase efforts to admit community college students and help them in the transfer process, according to the press release. He also wants to support students from underrepresented backgrounds to attend graduate school.

“I am grateful for this opportunity to bring my experiences as a first-generation, non-traditional student to … the Board of Regents and advocate for (students’) priorities and needs,” Tesfai said in the press release. “There is much work ahead for the University to provide critical academic resources and necessary support to ensure students have the tools for success.”

Catherine Hamilton | National news and higher education editor
Hamilton is the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor. She was previously a national news contributor. She is also a second-year English and political science student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]