USAC presidential candidate faces potential disqualification

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is housed in Kerckhoff Hall (pictured). The Undergraduate Students Association Elections Board found presidential candidate Angelina Quint failed to comply with previous sanctions to remove allegations of harassment against fellow candidate Carl King Jr. that the board determined were unfounded. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Alexandra Kaiser and Saumya Gupta

This post was updated May 4 at 10:15 p.m.

Angelina Quint could face disqualification for failure to comply with the Undergraduate Students Association Elections Board’s sanctions to remove false and damaging information toward candidate Carl King Jr.

According to a Tuesday notice of finding, the elections board found that student government presidential candidate Quint did not follow previous sanctions requiring her to take down two Instagram posts containing allegations of harassment by fellow presidential candidate King. Quint also failed to republish amended versions of the posts on her personal account. The sanctions also required Quint to inform the public that some of those statements were unfounded, according to Saturday’s notice of findings

The elections board extended the deadline for this sanction to 1 p.m. on Monday, the Tuesday notice of findings said. On Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., the board announced that Quint, a third-year labor studies and sociology student, had 24 hours to comply or risk further sanctions, including disqualification from the election. The notice added that Quint and people campaigning for her are also suspended from all campaign efforts until the sanctions have been followed. 

As of publication, Quint had not removed the posts nor informed the public.

The USA Judicial Board will also be holding a preliminary hearing Wednesday at 9 p.m. via Zoom regarding a petition King filed Sunday against Quint. The board will consider whether Quint filed malicious or bad faith charges against King in violation of the USA Election Code.

King, a second-year economics and political science transfer student, claimed Quint’s allegations were false in an Instagram post on his campaign account. The elections board suspended both candidates from campaigning on social media from Saturday to Tuesday at 6 p.m in response to formal complaints.

[Related: USA Elections Board sanctions 2 presidential candidates following complaints]

On Tuesday, the elections board also found that the Students Organizing Active Resistance slate Instagram page continued to campaign on Quint’s behalf on their Instagram story on Monday, in violation of previous sanctions. Quint is a member of the SOAR slate. 

The board issued no sanctions, as the story was no longer available when Tuesday’s notice of finding was issued and the story campaigned for all SOAR slate candidates and not solely Quint, according to another Tuesday notice of findings.  

Voting for the USAC elections ends Friday at 2 p.m.

Alexandra Kaiser | Campus politics editor
Kaiser is the 2022-2023 campus politics editor. She was previously a News reporter and Opinion columnist. She is also a third-year communication and political science student.
Saumya Gupta | News senior staff
Gupta was the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the national news and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the beat. She is also a fourth-year psychology student.