Editorial: UCLA students should not need to rely on public protest to be heard

Editor’s note: Editorials are intended to serve as the jumping-off point, not the conclusion, to discussion. As part of the Daily Bruin’s commitment to its readers, the board hopes to present a responsible and clear analysis of relevant events and news items affecting the lives of those we serve, but our editorials are not representative of the Daily Bruin’s views on issues as a whole. We encourage all readers to reach out to our board members and to respond to our editorials.

Change shouldn’t require a 16-day sit-in.

Unfortunately, things work a little differently at the nation’s premier public university.

On the morning of Jan. 31, students from the Mother Organizations coalition, Disabled Student Union and Undergraduate Students Association Council staged a “Strike for our Safety,” calling for more equitable and accessible learning options. Shortly after noon, students moved to the second floor of Murphy Hall, where they remained for more than two weeks.

Student leaders were finally able to reach an agreement with Chancellor Gene Block and other administrators Feb. 16. While not all students’ demands were met, administrators agreed to an external investigation into the Community Programs Office, improved recruitment and retention of students from underrepresented groups, the hiring of a permanent Americans with Disabilities Act compliance officer and more.

The editorial board supports the students who participated in the sit-in and commends their commitment to making campus a more equitable space. Their efforts show that student activism works.

At the same time, it should not have taken 16 days for administrators to act on students’ demands.

UCLA spokesperson Bill Kisliuk said in an emailed statement that the university was not able to immediately agree to students’ asks because of limited funds and the consequences funding decisions have on multiple sectors of the university.

Although funding can be a large barrier, it certainly is not something to hide behind. With UCLA amassing billions in revenue annually, surely the funds to reach equitable demands are possible.

It’s important to keep in mind that the university has yet to agree with students on several crucial demands, such as mandated livestreaming and recording of classes as well as the removal of punitive attendance requirements. The shared governance model, which gives instructors an equal say in governing the campus’s learning environment, means the Academic Senate determines instruction modalities, Kisliuk said.

The editorial board appreciates that administrators met with students in good faith and delivered clear, actionable timelines for making campus more accessible. However, that doesn’t erase the fact that the university was unwilling or unable to act on students’ demands until they sacrificed their time, comfort and well-being to have their voices heard.

Last month was not the first time administrators heard of strikers’ concerns. Students have expressed concerns since at least March 2021 over the CPO’s lack of financial transparency, hostile work environment and the absence of student control over student-run programs. The DSU began advocating for expanded hybrid options in the fall. The Afrikan Student Union called on the university to set aside more funding for the Black Bruin Resource Center as early as October.

Serving a campus effectively requires those in power to actively listen to concerns raised by the people they serve. Sidestepping issues that negatively impact students’ well-being makes it impossible to create an environment that welcomes people of all backgrounds and lived experiences.

Now that the university has established plans to make meaningful progress on student demands, the editorial board urges them to make good on their promises.

Kisliuk said in the emailed statement that the university will notify appropriate individuals and organizations when administrators have accomplished agreements they have worked out with students. The university is also archiving documents pertaining to the process, Kisliuk added.

This is welcome news, but administrators should communicate their progress on these timelines to the entire UCLA community. All Bruins have a right to know what their university is doing to ensure campus is accessible and equitable. That way, if a gap exists, they can pressure the university to fill it.

We must all do our part to hold administrators to their word.