The Bruin Gastronomer: 6-ingredient peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

(Courtesy of Avery Pak. Photo illustration by Emily Dembinski/PRIME art director)

By Avery Pak

Cooking in college can be daunting. The Bruin Gastronomer aims to give students the knowledge and tools to cook affordable, simple and delicious meals that will fill brains and bellies alike.

Six-ingredient peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

In third grade, I met a girl named Hadley. She introduced me to this simple recipe for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and with that, officially sealed the deal to becoming my best friend.

If there is one combination of flavors that I can never deny, it is peanut butter and chocolate. Just ask the constant rotation of Ben & Jerry’s peanut butter half baked pints in my freezer that nobody in my family but me consume on a daily basis.

As we approach colder months and inevitable cravings for comfort food, these cookies will surely satisfy any sweet tooth. While I’ve only tried the recipe with milk or dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips may also do the trick – the point of this recipe is to work with what you’ve got. After all, our ingredients in college are typically quite limited.

And while I’ve never tried a vegan variation of these cookies, a simple substitution for a flax egg and vegan chocolate chips will surely work as well.

Ingredients

1 cup peanut butter (smooth works best)

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 cup (or desired amount) dark and/or milk chocolate chips

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Add your peanut butter, brown sugar, egg, baking soda, and vanilla extract to a bowl.

3. Mix all ingredients together without overmixing (stop when all ingredients are combined evenly).

4. Add chocolate chips and gently mix them into the batter.

5. Line or grease a pan, then add 9-12 golfball-sized cookie dough balls, and place the pan in the oven.

6. Bake for 9-11 minutes. Upon removing the cookies they may seem underdone, but after they sit for 5 minutes, they should be perfectly baked!

Tip: my go-to baking time is 9 minutes (with 5 minutes to let them settle), but it’s all about trial and error, since, like chocolate chips, all ovens are a bit different.

Avery Pak | Quad editor
Pak is the 2021-2022 assistant Quad editor. She is a second-year English student at UCLA. She was a 2020-2021 Blogging contributor.