The Bruin Gastronomer: Tomato and olive vinaigrette salad

(Keaton Larson/Daily Bruin)

By Keaton Larson

Cooking in college can be daunting. The Bruin Gastronomer aims to give students the knowledge and tools to cook affordable, simple and delicious meals that will fill brains and bellies alike.

Tomato and Olive Vinaigrette Salad

With spring in full swing and summer fast approaching, we hunger for lighter foods to beat the heat.

The right salad can be light, refreshing and filling – the only thing limiting endless combinations of unique flavors and textures are the ingredients in your fridge. Luckily for us, salads do not need an exact measure of ingredients to achieve perfection.

While paying attention to portions and balancing ingredients is important, making something you enjoy should be your first concern.

To vary up these healthy creations, try substituting fruits, like apples or peaches, for the vegetables. If you’re craving a new dressing, try a basic vinaigrette one time, then test out something creamier or thicker for the next go-around.

Cheeses can also be a great way to create a dish that’s unique and flavorful. I love goat cheese, and although it’s not used for this recipe, I try to throw it in whenever I can.

Any herb, like basil, can shoot a strong amount of flavor into a salad, so feel free to use what you prefer. Making something good is all about experimentation.

Ingredients

2 leaves of romaine lettuce

A palmful of pitted green olives

A palmful of cherry tomatoes

2 to 3 basil leaves

Any shredded cheese, preferably Parmesan or Pecorino Romano

Black pepper

1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)

Instructions

1. In a bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and garlic. Whisk together.
  2. Wash your romaine leaves and cut them into bite-sized pieces and place on a plate. Drizzle some dressing atop the leaves.
  3. Halve your cherry tomatoes and green olives and scatter on the plate. Roll your basil leaves lengthwise and slice them into thin strips. Scatter them on the plate as well.
  4. Sprinkle the cheese over the salad. The amount will vary based on personal preference, but I stop when it looks like a light blanket of snow.
  5. Add the last of your dressing and finish with some black pepper. Enjoy!
Keaton Larson