‘The Falcon and The Winter Soldier’ season 1 recap – episode 2: ‘The Star-Spangled Man’

(Courtesy of Marvel Studios)

"The Star-Spangled Man"

Directed by Kari Skogland

Disney+

March 26

By EJ Panaligan

Warning: spoilers ahead.

In a post-blip reality, the star-spangled legacy of Captain America no longer belongs to the ones who knew him best.

Released Friday, the second episode of “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” introduces newcomer John Walker (Wyatt Russell) as “The Star-Spangled Man,” briefly fleshing out his backstory and motivations. Additionally, Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) and Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) finally reunite on screen, albeit under less fortunate circumstances as they bicker over Sam’s decision to hand over the shield in a display of one of the show’s strongest emerging qualities – the duo’s infectious on-screen chemistry.

“The Star-Spangled Man” episode opens with an introspective lens on Walker – a tenured soldier – and his foray into donning the storied suit and shield in a locker room before a rally, underscoring his own fears about assuming the role. This immediately follows the first episode’s end reveal of Walker being anointed by the U.S. government to carry the shield’s legacy forward, opposing Sam’s wishes to hang up the mantle and preserve it in the Smithsonian Institution.

[Related: ‘The Falcon and the Winter Soldier’ season 1 recap – episode 1]

In a televised interview at a ceremonious, homecoming-style Captain America rally, Walker later refers to Steve Rogers as a brother while the shot simultaneously cuts to Bucky watching the interview in his apartment, bewildered at Walker’s audacity and the theatrics surrounding the role his best friend once inhibited. Kari Skogland’s directorial work shines in this opening scene as it propels the contrastingly unceremonious reunion of the series’ titular characters.

Although their first interaction is marred over their ideological differences on Sam’s decision to give up the shield, the episode’s early pacing takes off in full flight as the main characters switch into action hero mode. Sam and Bucky stealthily follow a group of Flag Smashers transporting a shipment of vaccines, while sprinkles of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s indelible brand of witty banter between the duo’s dueling personalities are present throughout.

The stealth mission then seamlessly transitions into a highway chase scene that fully displays the Flag Smashers’ Super-Soldier-like capabilities, boasting CGI quality and fight choreography that is on par with the Captain America films. Further along in the chase sequence is an unexpected fourth-quarter arrival of Walker’s Captain America alongside his partner Lemar Hoskins (Clé Bennett) as the pair attempts to assist Sam and Bucky in battle. The spitting imagery of the mirrored duos in action adds a layer of subtext that breathes fresh air into a familiar type of action sequence for longtime MCU viewers.

But what the fight scene highlights best is that neither Sam and Bucky nor Walker and Hoskins are the super-powered heroes of MCU’s past, as they all fail to subdue the fleeing Flag Smashers. This result plants the seed for the tense relationship dynamic between the two pairs throughout the rest of the episode. Walker’s multiple attempts to extend an olive branch to Sam and Bucky by proposing they work together are halted by the latter’s collective agreement that Walker is undeserving of their best friend’s suit and shield.

[Related: “WandaVision” season 1 recap – episodes 1 and 2]

Outside of the good guys, the episode tries to humanize the Flag Smashers and their leader, Karli Morgenthau (Erin Kellyman), as they move from one safe house to another in an unrelenting attempt to flee from authorities. While it is a fruitful effort at balancing the show’s ongoing narratives, the time spent away from Sam and Bucky’s main storyline is a detriment to the episode’s overall pacing and enjoyability.

The arguable standout moment of the episode comes only after a difficult meeting in Baltimore with Isaiah Bradley (Carl Lumbly), a Black Super-Soldier who was wrongly imprisoned for decades after serving for the U.S. military. Sam, audibly frustrated with Bucky who kept Bradley’s existence a secret, attracts the attention of police officers on the street, who racially profile him in a hostile manner before realizing that he’s an Avenger. The scene serves as sharp commentary on Sam’s celebrity status protecting him in this stressful moment, something not generally available to people of color in similar situations. The pens of head writer Malcolm Spellman and episode writer Michael Kastelein bring forth relevant social commentary on racial issues in a grounded moment of reality that has been absent from previous MCU entries.

What follows is an intense duo therapy session that forces Sam and Bucky to air out their pressing grievances toward each other, featuring highlight-reel acting moments for both Mackie and Stan. The episode leaves off on one final confrontation with Walker and Hoskins that cements the opposing duos’ antagonistic dynamic moving forward. The moment is followed by a startling name drop, orchestral cues and a brief flash that teases the return of Zemo (Daniel Brühl), the main villain of “Captain America: Civil War.”

After a slower, introspective pilot episode, the main narrative of “The Falcon and The Winter Soldier” is off and rolling fast – and it seems the show’s most exciting moments are soon to come.

EJ Panaligan | Senior staff
Panaligan is a senior staffer for the Arts and Entertainment and Opinion sections. He was previously the Opinion editor in 2020-21, and created the "Columns From Quarantine" Opinion column series. For the Arts and Entertainment section, he regularly contributes features, columns, reviews and Q&As to the Music | Fine Arts beat. He also co-created the "Life and Hip-Hop" Arts column series. He is from Carson, California but unabashedly dreams of a professional life in New York City.