Q&A: Actors discuss freaky twist to classic body-swap trope in new horror movie

(Courtesy of Universal Pictures)

By Breanna Diaz

Halloween is long gone, but a new teen slasher is bound to make this fall just a little freakier.

Christopher Landon – writer of the “Paranormal Activity” sequels and director of “Happy Death Day” – joined television writer Michael Kennedy to create “Freaky,” a horror-comedy film that puts a spin on the classic body-swap trope. Releasing Nov. 13 in theaters, the feature follows what happens when a shy teenager, Millie (Kathryn Newton), suddenly switches bodies with a deranged serial killer named the Blissfield Butcher (Vince Vaughn). And in less than 24 hours, Millie has to get her body back and stop the Butcher from wreaking havoc on her high school – all before the switch becomes permanent.

In a virtual roundtable hosted by Universal Pictures, Newton and Vaughn spoke with Daily Bruin’s Breanna Diaz and other college press from across the country about “Freaky.” The stars shared their experiences on set and how the gender-bending film intertwines horror and comedic elements.

[Related: Q&A: ‘Tenet’ actor John David Washington reflects on experience working with cast, crew]

Daily Bruin: Christopher Landon mentions that he went back to the 2009 horror film “Jennifer’s Body” when writing “Freaky.” How do you see Millie’s character fitting in alongside other existing and iconic women in slasher and horror films?

Kathryn Newton: “Jennifer’s Body” is one of my favorite horror films. I realized the similarities between Needy, Amanda (Seyfried’s) character, and Millie. And Jennifer is kind of like the Butcher in a way, right? But (“Freaky”) was so different to me because it just kills all those tropes and cliches that you see in those movies. Things never stay the way they seem, so I love that part of the movie.

Grace Orriss (Special Issues Editor for the Daily Californian): For Vaughn, a lot of your scenes as Millie (in the Butcher’s body) were very earnest. Did you do any research or work as an actor to make sure that your character didn’t come off as one-note?

Vince Vaughn: I didn’t watch any other performances because I really wanted to take an authentic journey of really creating this character and having an emotional depth so that when I was in those scenes with (Millie’s) mom or with Booker (Uriah Shelton), the boy that (Millie) has a crush on, I was really just present as the character and listening and able to kind of feel what was going on.

It was honestly just putting yourself in those experiences, like having a crush on somebody and being afraid of being rejected. So I really did try to approach character-building (Millie) as an honest character with Newton.

[Related: Q&A: Alum Kal Penn emphasizes importance of youth voters in new limited series]

Matthew Troher (Assistant Longform Editor for the Daily Illini): Were there any challenges when trying to portray a character of a completely different generation from yourself?

KN: I didn’t even think about that, but I did inherently. There were scenes on set where the Butcher was in a situation with teenagers where they were taking selfies, and I (wanted to) make sure he looked like he didn’t know what was going on or that he was being photographed. So there are moments of transition between being the Butcher, but then being a teenage girl where I wanted to show what a grownup person might think a teenage girl might act like.

VV: I think as a performer, you kind of understand the aspects of people. What’s fun about Millie is she’s someone who’s got a lot of great qualities (but is) just not giving herself permission to follow what she’s wanting to do. That part was easier for me. The Butcher was much more challenging in some ways, lacking any empathy. It was fun to play that because it’s always exciting to play different sides of human nature.

Riley Farrell (Reporter for The Battalion): Millie said “I felt empowered” when she was in the Butcher’s male body and (her) whole look changed to radiate confidence in a different sort of red-lip way. How did playing within the concept of gender allow you both to learn about the different strengths of (various) identities?

KN: I hear what you’re saying about changing your gender and your identity, but the truth is Millie is the same through and through. So when she sees herself from another perspective, I think it’s less about what she looks like. It’s the first time she’s seeing herself and the power that she can have. I think that’s what the movie is about – really actually seeing who you are … learning about yourself … and celebrating it.

VV: What’s interesting in the movie is that it does a good job of setting Millie up in situations with people that are harsh on her. And so when she is the serial killer, it’s weird that you’re sort of rooting for the serial killer in her body with some of those situations, which I think is very unique. And I do think life is about accepting who you are ultimately and becoming comfortable with that.

Breanna Diaz