Club Sandwich aims to spread hope to people experiencing homelessness

In January, third-year communication student Kira Loren founded Club Sandwich at UCLA, which is now taking the money it’s raised to buy and donate canned foods to people experiencing homelessness in a period when club members cannot come together to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. (David Rimer/Daily Bruin)

By Aaron Untiveros

In the face of a crisis, Club Sandwich found a new way to feed those experiencing homelessness.

The newly established organization, created by third-year communication student Kira Loren, is feeding those who experience homelessness in Westwood as it attempts to connect the UCLA community with its surrounding city members, she said. Prior to the pandemic, the club was dedicated to making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which Loren said was ideal because of its nonperishable ingredients and ability to generate a laid-back environment ideal for socialization. However, as social distancing measures made such gatherings difficult, Loren said she decided to switch the club’s focus to donating canned foods instead.

“(Once classes got canceled), I immediately just started brainstorming other ideas on how we could use our funding to help out in ways like donating canned food,” Loren said. “We were super bummed (we couldn’t make PB&J sandwiches anymore), but we’re working to adapt to the situation.”

[Related: Student’s fundraising efforts can be chalked up to passion for sidewalk art]

Founded in January, the club focused on social media and word-of-mouth to promote itself and thought the recruiting process would be a slow one, said vice president Kennedy Meyer. But the third-year human biology and society student said the club’s concerns were quelled when over 25 students showed up at its first meeting, raising the the board members’ optimism as they envisioned the club’s future.

Before the pandemic impacted everyday life, Loren said Club Sandwich set its community foundations by purchasing its sandwich materials solely through fundraising efforts and funding from the Undergraduate Students Association Council. After over 65 sandwiches were prepared and packaged properly in zip-close bags with positive messages written on them, she said she drove to the Salvation Army in Westwood to drop it all off. Writing messages gave students not only the chance to spread peanut butter and jelly but also hope, which is something Loren said the club wanted to continue as it switched to buying and donating canned foods.

[Related: Alfred brews up solutions to keep coffee, matcha in hands of Angelenos]

Despite the club being recently founded, third-year psychobiology student Jacquelyn Hill said board members’ feelings of excitement quickly turned into those of uncertainty as they realized they would not longer be able to provide for the community as they had planned.

After USAC approved the idea to switch to canned foods, Loren said she is now purchasing the nonperishable foods to deliver them to the Salvation Army, prompting a new era for Club Sandwich.

“A lot of stores are closed due to all the protests and looting, but once that’s opened up, I’m going to direct all that money towards canned food and donate it,” Loren said. “I’m going to talk to the Salvation Army again and see if they’re in a good place to donate to again or other homeless shelters in Los Angeles.”

Although Club Sandwich didn’t have the year it expected, Loren said she is committed to evolving its mission on feeding people who experience homelessness, regardless of how the next school year pans out. If circumstances allow, the board members plan to go back to their roots of making sandwiches by fall quarter and hopefully partner with local sandwich businesses to help expand their efforts. Loren said the club will continue to apply for funding from USAC to provide food for people experiencing homelessness and possibly help start up more Club Sandwiches throughout other universities.

“It will always be a little heartbreaking to think about like all the sandwiches we could have donated, but you can’t dwell on the negativity,” Loren said. “I’ll continue thinking of new ways to help and as we all look forward to next year.”

Aaron Untiveros