Biden wins 10 states on Super Tuesday, but Sanders claims biggest prize

Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks to a crowd of thousands in Downtown Los Angeles the weekend before winning the California Democratic primary. (Jintak Han/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Marilyn Chavez-Martinez

Sen. Bernie Sanders from Vermont won the California Democratic primary on Super Tuesday, claiming the day’s biggest prize. But former Vice President Joe Biden took home the most overall delegates.

Sanders is backed by university labor unions, including the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 3299 and the University Professional and Technical Employees-Communications Workers of America 9119.

He visited the UCLA campus in March 2019 in support of UPTE and AFSCME strikers before the unions had successfully negotiated a contract with the University of California. Most recently, Sanders visited Downtown Los Angeles to talk about his campaign and vision for the presidency.

[Related: Wait times at polling centers at Ackerman Union run more than 4 hours]

Despite his California win, the only other states Sanders won were his home state of Vermont, Utah and Colorado. Biden took home the other 10 states on Super Tuesday, and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg won American Samoa.

Bloomberg dropped out of the race Wednesday morning, endorsing Biden.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts failed to win any states, including Massachusetts.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard also failed to win any states.

Biden now leads the delegate count with 566, 65 more than Sanders. While both men have cracked the 500-delegate mark, Warren and Gabbard have yet to reach triple digits.

The next round of primaries will be Tuesday. The four remaining Democrats will vie for six states: Idaho, Washington, Mississippi, Michigan, Missouri and North Dakota.

Marilyn Chavez-Martinez | News and outreach senior staff
Chavez-Martinez was the 2020-2021 Outreach Director. She was previously an assistant news editor managing the campus politics beat and still writes for the Daily Bruin news section occasionally. She is also a fourth-year English and Economics student at UCLA.