Trucking Around: The Lobos Truck features unique fry-nacho combination

A&E columnist Alisha Kapur traveled to The Lobos Truck to sample the Big Lobo, a two-patty burger with cheese, egg, guacamole and tomato, and the truck’s Wachos, including the OG Wacho and the Green Dragon Wacho.
(Canaan Howard/Daily Bruin)

By Alisha Kapur

Food trucks are a vital part of the Los Angeles culinary scene, with many accumulating hordes of followers who aggressively pursue them around the city. The sheer magnitude of trucks can make dining choices difficult, but columnist Alisha Kapur has narrowed down 10 to try out and review. Join her as she goes across the city, experiencing everything from Korean barbecue tacos to gourmet ice cream, in an attempt to find the food trucks that are worth following.

I went to The Lobos Truck with high hopes. Who can resist the temptation of their Wacho – waffle fries that take on nacho toppings. Their menu also boasted burgers and macaroni and cheese, some of my favorite foods. I salivated at the thought of the Big Lobo, a two-patty burger with cheese, egg, guacamole and a fresh tomato.

After waiting for about 10 minutes after ordering, I finally got my food. I ran to a table with my friends, and we dug in. Two of my friends ordered Wachos, and they both looked ecstatic about their choice. I, on the other hand, felt a sinking feeling as soon as I took my first bite of the Big Lobo.

Its patties were dry and salty, and they ruined the rest of the experience. The other parts of the burger could have stood well on their own, though. The chefs had toasted the bun perfectly, and the egg had its shining moment, but I could not really taste the guacamole.

web.ae.truckingaround.CH.jpg
The Lobos Truck features classic American comfort food – from mac and cheese to burgers – with a spin of combinations. The truck’s speciality, Wachos, waffle fries with nacho-style toppings.
(Canaan Howard/Daily Bruin)

Although I did not completely enjoy the burger, I ended up finishing off most of it, because I was starving and felt guilty about its $9.50 price tag. After my meal, though, I felt a little too full. Food at The Lobos Truck is loaded with decadent ingredients, and I thought the food was too heavy. I would recommend ordering only one item off the menu.

Don’t order the burgers, though. Order the Wachos. Perfectly crispy, these fry-nacho hybrids live up to their reputation. Wachos are much more exciting than fries and maintain their shape in a way that nachos never could.

I tried my friend’s OG Wachos, which had an assortment of ingredients on them. Again, I could not taste the guacamole on the Wachos, and the barbecue sauce sort of overpowered the dish, but I nevertheless enjoyed them.

I also attempted to brave the Green Dragon Wachos, which provide the menu with a spicy alternative to the other Wacho combinations. With the addition of Green Dragon sauce, they definitely had a bite. I could not even eat an entire Green Dragon Wacho. This dish is not for the weak of heart, but if you can muster some courage, I would still recommend it.

Although I did not enjoy my burger as much as I had hoped, I plan to go to The Lobos Truck again. I want to order my own Wachos, and maybe I will even try the macaroni and cheese, which they ran out of when I last visited. The Lobos Truck puts a spin on classic American comfort food and is worth at least one more visit, but I will never go near the Big Lobo or Green Dragon Wachos again.

Do you know any food trucks in Los Angeles worth sampling? Email Kapur at [email protected].

Alisha Kapur