Sunday, May 12, 2024

WACSmash’D showcase brings awareness to student art, creativity

The World Arts and Cultures and Undergraduate Society will put on the 15th annual “WACSmash’D” showcase in the Glorya Kaufman Dance Theater starting Friday. With the theme “in dedication to…,” students will personally dedicate their performances to something or someone in their lives. (Heidy Cadena/Daily Bruin)

"WACSmash'D: In dedication to... "
Today, 8 p.m.
Glorya Kaufman Dance Theater, FREE

By Tierney Brannigan

One student commemorates a World War II fighter pilot and his plane through a new, choreographed form, and later, another student gives Diwali – the Indian festival of lights – expression through movement.

These are two of 17 performance pieces in the 15th annual “WACSmash’D” showcase, an entirely student-run production put on by the World Arts and Cultures Undergraduate Society. The production runs Friday through Sunday in the Glorya Kaufman Dance Theater.

Johnny Hernandez, Amanda Sanchez and Jackie Oka, all fourth-year world arts and cultures/dance students, are the producers of “WACSmash’D.”

“It’s a good experience for future artists,” Oka said. “It allows us to do everything we want to do as students … . Each piece is so personal and relatable.”

Sanchez said the showcase will feature an array of interdisciplinary performances, such as spoken word, movement practices and original music. This year’s theme of “WACSmash’D” is “in dedication to …”

“We wanted to, in some way, dedicate this event to our art,” Sanchez said.

The students have dedicated each performance to someone or something important in their lives. Nisha Gujral, a third-year world arts and cultures/dance student, said she has choreographed a piece based on Diwali, which she celebrates with her family each year.

Fourth-year world arts and cultures/dance student Tali Aires said her piece is dedicated to her grandfather, who was a fighter pilot in World War II. She said she will use footage of interviews with him as well as airplane-inspired choreography in her piece.

“I want to make my grandpa proud, honoring him through the dance rather than imitating,” Aires said.

The students whose work will be showcased went through a rigorous application process, with a record-breaking number of applicants this year, Hernandez said. The producers were able to take about 50 percent of the 35 applicants, resulting in the final 17 pieces.

Once the producers had chosen the final acts, there were additional auditions for students who wished to participate as dancers in the chosen choreography pieces. From there, each artist was assigned a mentor, either from the world arts and cultures/dance faculty or graduate students. Hernandez said this year was the first time mentors were used in the process, in hopes of raising the caliber of the pieces.

“There’s a lot of pressure. Putting on a professional level show has given us real life experience … and has been a huge learning experience for us,” Hernandez said.

The performers and the producers have been preparing for the event since fall quarter. Aires said the artists and performers had at least one rehearsal each week for two to three hours.

“There are some pieces that make you emotional, some pieces that make you question, some that make you uncomfortable,” Aires said. “I think you’re going to leave the show feeling enriched about life in general.”

Gujral said “WACSmash’D” is an event aimed at bringing student awareness to the arts in general, as well as an opportunity for world arts and cultures/dance students to work with one another.

“To create work and bond within the department, I’ve been able to learn more things about myself,” Gujral said.

Sanchez said the overall process is rewarding and provides the world arts and cultures/dance students with the opportunity to share their talents and express themselves through their art.

“We are trying to support and perpetuate the arts, “ Sanchez said. “I want people to see and understand the beauty that an artist can offer to the world … . It makes people realize the beauty of life.”

Tierney Brannigan