Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Fourth-year Garrett Johnson will graduate with an independent degree in game design and development

Garrett Johnson works on independent game creation in the Broad Art Center’s Game Lab . His thesis project is developing the game “Ascension,” which resembles role-playing games like Final Fantasy Tactics. Johnson plans to work in the game industry after graduating from UCLA.

49844_screen_shot_20120612_at_9.56.35_pm

This article is part of the Daily Bruin's Graduation Issue 2012 coverage. To view more multimedia, galleries, and columns, visit http://dailybruin.com/gradissue2012

By Matthew Overstreet

Charlie Wang

Garrett Johnson’s independent game design and development major in the Arts and Architecture department consists of computer science, mathematics and design courses.

The dichotomy between the arts and the sciences goes back further than their designation as North and South Campus majors, but for Garrett Johnson, that division isn’t as extreme.

Johnson is one of a select few students graduating this year who will not be receiving a diploma categorized under a predetermined set of majors. Instead, he will be graduating with a major he designed himself: game design and development.

“I’ve always been into math and technical things, but I’ve always liked visuals and the creative side of things as well. … I tried to incorporate that into my curriculum by creating a major that pinpointed both fields in games,” Johnson said.

To create his major, Johnson said that he had to write a two-page paper for a committee of advisers from the School of the Arts and Architecture, explaining why he thought his chosen field of study was a legitimate academic endeavor and how it would benefit him in pursuing a career in video game design. He then had to put together a series of classes for his curriculum.

Actually getting into the classes he had chosen was more difficult, since Johnson did not have priority as an independent major.

One of the advisers who helped Johnson construct his curriculum was UCLA Game Lab director Eddo Stern, who has since worked closely with Johnson. The Game Lab, located in Broad Art Center, emphasizes independent game creation on campus.

Stern said Johnson’s motivation and drive, along with his creativity, have impressed him.

“For me it’s really satisfying to work with students like Garrett who, in a sense … don’t care about all the kind of residual aspects of teaching that are less important like discipline and grading and timeliness and testing and all that stuff. I think he’s really done well.”

As part of his curriculum, Johnson has been hard at work on his thesis project, a game called “Ascension.” The game, at first glance, is reminiscent of games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, but boasts both an interesting aesthetic and concept. Players control groups of souls from a fallen civilization, unearth artifacts and manipulate terrain in order to hinder opponents.

Johnson’s friends have been supportive of his independent major, encouraging him along his journey.

Fourth-year Design | Media Arts student Joshua Nuernberger, who has known Johnson since his freshman year, said Johnson’s decision to create his own major shows his drive for self-determination.

“I think he’s done something that is very beneficial not only for himself but for other students. (Garrett shows that) while you’re in school you should really push yourself to get what you want out of your classes and that you shouldn’t restrict yourself to course curricula,” said Nuernberger.

After graduation, Johnson said he hopes to find a job in the game industry.

Now at the end of his UCLA career, Johnson has time to reflect on the past four years like many soon-to-be graduates. While some other graduates might be ready to move on, Johnson seems torn between the new life that awaits him and the life he leaves behind.

“I’m kind of disappointed that I’m graduating because it seems like it’s happening too soon,” Johnson said. “I think there’s a lot I can gain from the people in this department, but at the same time a lot of it (would just be) working with people that I know and individual projects to sort of expand my own skill set.”

Matthew Overstreet