Sunday, May 5, 2024

Music for life: graduating UCLA musicians look forward to pursuing careers in the music industry

Graduating creativity and society student Auni, trumpet performance student Ryan Svendsen and musical theater student Katie Boeck use their past concerts and performances as inspiration for their future careers. They look forward to continuing to perform and pursue musical careers after graduation.

By Julia Neuman

courtesy of AARON KRASS
courtesy of PATRICK TRAN

As Auni stepped on the Spring Sing stage, the energy of the 8,000-person crowd made her excited about her future as a performer. Auni, a fourth-year singer, guitarist and pianist, will be graduating this spring and hopes to continue her career as a musician.

This year’s talented graduating musicians have roads ahead of them that are both exciting and uncertain. As a result of technology and the transforming state of the music industry, a career in music has become more of a competitive challenge than ever.

But UCLA’s music program has given students the necessary tools and experience to venture into the real world of music performance, direction, education and research.

Auni created her own major at UCLA in order to focus on her specific music interests.

“Creativity and society is a major that I made because I wanted to study the way we perceive creativity, and whether or not we foster it in our school systems,” Auni said.

Immediately after graduation, Auni plans to begin recording an extended play (EP), which she hopes to put out in the fall. Her focus is on getting her music heard and playing as many shows as she can. According to Auni, graduating and going out into the world as a musician can be daunting tasks.

“It’s scary because all my friends are interviewing for jobs right now, and I’m not,” Auni said. “I played my first open mic in August or September, and now I just played for around 8,000 people at Spring Sing.”

Another Spring Sing musician, Katie Boeck, is graduating from the musical theater program with a desire to share her blend of contemporary pop, rock and folk music with the public.

Many singers and songwriters aim exclusively at landing a record deal as soon as possible, but Boeck’s ultimate goal is to just be able to exercise her creativity.

“I would love to make a living doing what I like to do. If that means promoting myself and getting myself on tour with other musicians I’ve met, that would be great,” Boeck said. “A record deal is great too, but it won’t make or break me.”

During her time at UCLA, Boeck was involved in Awaken A Cappella in addition to playing at Spring Sing and other various venues around Los Angeles. She also took advantage of UCLA’s extensive alumni network and other resources in order to maximize her time on campus.

“UCLA has so many resources. It’s all there for you if you go out there and seek it out. I took advantage of the opportunities that presented themselves. I’ve had a great four years here,” Boeck said.

Eric Fiero, a fifth-year music education student, plays the trumpet and has been involved in a wide range of music groups on campus, including orchestra, wind ensemble, marching band and brass choir. He has also served as a section leader of the marching band for four years. Fiero said he hopes to be able to turn these kinds of experiences into his career.

“Hopefully I will be a college director or working on research to further music education,” Fiero said.

Ryan Svendsen, a fourth-year trumpet performance student, has also been a part of many campus music groups.

His love for jazz and rock music has led him to perform with several acclaimed musical artists, including Robert Randolph, Herbie Hancock and Dave Matthews.

“This summer, I completed my dream to play with Dave Matthews and was featured playing trumpet in his newest music video entitled “˜You and Me,'” Svendsen said.

Svendsen said his most rewarding music experience has been working for Warner Music Group as the Los Angeles college representative. He said he hopes to use his music background to do something similar for his career.

“I really enjoy making an artist’s career blossom, and I believe I have found my career path through this opportunity,” Svendsen said. “I am hoping to get a job with a creative artist agency or with a management company or label such as Front Line Management or Warner Music Group.”

With the current state of the music industry changing because of technological advances, Svendsen said he recognizes the need for thinking out of the box.

“Persistence and innovation pays off. If you want something, you have to go get it and be flexible with what is thrown at you,” Svendsen said. “I guess you could say I have learned to improvise in any situation, even if a trumpet isn’t in my hand.”

Julia Neuman