Ten freshmen set high expectations for UCLA women’s soccer in 2022

Freshman forward/midfielder Ellie Walbruch dribbles the ball down the field. Walbruch has played in every game for the Bruins thus far this season. (Eden Yu/Daily Bruin)

By Cecilia Schmitz

The Bruins might’ve lost their top goal scorer from 2021, but the No. 1 recruiting class in the nation brings high hopes for the 2022 season in Westwood.

UCLA women’s soccer welcomed 10 new freshmen in 2022, with each of them bringing experience on the international stage. Three of the 10 competed in the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup over the summer, with freshman goalkeeper Neeku Purcell playing for the United States and freshman forwards America Frias and Bridgette Marin-Valencia playing for Mexico.

Coach Margueritte Aozasa said there are clear benefits to playing in international tournaments.

“Anytime you can play significant minutes at a high level in a high-performance environment and also a high-pressure environment, then it’s awesome when you can bring that back to the group,” Aozasa said.

The three players who competed in the U-20 Women’s World Cup spent much of the offseason with their international teams, while the rest had an opportunity to build chemistry with their teammates throughout the summer. In fact, some of the recruits came to Westwood early in 2022.

Midfielder Sofia Cook, midfielder Ally Lemos and forward/midfielder Ellie Walbruch all arrived in January to gain training and playing experience with the returning team.

Walbruch said she is looking forward to experiencing her first collegiate season alongside a large contingent of other freshmen and is excited to see what the team can accomplish as a whole.

“It’s going to be awesome to see what we all can do coming from different backgrounds,” Walbruch said. “There’s 10 of us, so we can do some great things together.”

Cook and Frias were also members of the U.S. national team that won CONCACAF’s U-15 championship in 2018.

Lemos said the transition to college soccer has been aided by her veteran teammates.

“From the beginning, they were so welcoming, so loving,” Lemos said, “Just taking me under their wing in a way, and that’s really helped with the transition. I can go in and talk to any one of them for any of my issues or for stress. … They’re my people, and I love them all so much.”

In addition to the new players, the Bruins’ coach is also beginning her UCLA campaign and head coaching career. After being an assistant coach for Stanford for seven seasons, Aozasa brought her talents to Westwood.

Walbruch said it’s been a blessing to be adjusting to Westwood alongside a new coaching staff.

“We’re kind of doing this together – it’s our first year, it’s their first year,” Walbruch said. “I’m super excited to have them for the four years because I know it’s just going to go uphill from here.”

Aozasa said the freshmen will be invaluable in restructuring, as this year is a new start for the whole program.

“They’ve (the freshmen have) been our (the coaching staff’s) great allies kind of as we try to change the program and try to put our stamp on it,” Aozasa said.

Cecilia Schmitz | Assistant Sports editor
Schmitz is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the women’s soccer, beach volleyball, women’s golf and cross country beats. She was previously a contributor on the women’s soccer and beach volleyball beats and a staffer for the Outreach section. She is also a third-year political science and communication student.