Friday, June 28, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

Olympian Joanna Hayes named director of UCLA track and field, cross country

Joanna Hayes observing the track during her time as an assistant coach at UCLA. Hayes was announced as the director of UCLA Track & Field and Cross Country on Monday in a press release. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Aaron Doyle

This post was updated Jun 17 at 9:11 p.m.

UCLA track and field added Olympic glory to its coaching roster on Monday.

Former 100-meter hurdles Olympic champion Joanna Hayes was announced as the director of UCLA track and field and cross country in a press conference release Monday. Hayes is a member of the UCLA Athletics Hall of Fame and became a six-time All-American during her time at UCLA from 1996 to 1999.

Hayes will replace former director Avery Anderson, who held the position from 2017 to 2024.

The announcement came after Hayes’ eight-season stretch as an assistant coach at USC, where she coached hurdlers, sprinters and the relays.

At USC, Hayes coached multiple All-Americans including Anna Cockrell, who notched two NCAA titles in 2021 in the 100 and 400-meter hurdle events, respectively.

Hayes has experience training Olympic champion Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone, who she coached until 2020. McLaughlin-Levrone went on to become the only woman to run sub-51 seconds in the 400-meter hurdles and is often recognized as the fastest 400-meter hurdler in history.

Hayes served as an assistant coach for the Bruins from 2014 to 2016, prior to her time with the Trojans. The hurdles specialist utilized her expertise to send two Bruins to the NCAA final in the 100-meter hurdles in her first season with UCLA.

The UCLA alumnus’ return to Westwood will be different this time.

Hayes will take on the role of director and will oversee the planning, development and administration of the program. 

“As director, I am committed to guiding this program with values rooted in respect, passion, discipline, family, and community engagement. I am ready to embark on this journey, as it brings me back to the joy and excitement I felt 30 years ago on signing day when I first became a Bruin,” Hayes said in a statement.  “I’m ready to win some championships alongside our dedicated alumni, staff, student-athletes, and the Bruin fans and supporters!” 

Hayes has experience that the next generation of UCLA track and field can utilize.

Hayes’ return to Westwood marks the beginning of her taking on the helm of UCLA track and field and cross country.

Aaron Doyle

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]