Thursday, June 27, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

UCPD arrests, charges student with battery

By Sharla Steinman

This post was updated May 31 at 5:20 p.m.

Editor’s note: This post was updated to remove the arrested student’s name due to safety concerns.

UCPD arrested and charged a student with battery near Perloff Hall on Wednesday afternoon. 

The arrested student struck an on-duty security officer’s hand while the officer was holding his phone near Murphy Hall and was then arrested near Perloff Hall, according to a Thursday UCPD news release. The student was charged with battery and transported to Los Angeles County Jail, also according to the news release. 

An Instagram story posted Wednesday night by @uclarnf – the account for United Auto Workers Local 4811’s rank-and-file caucus – called for student support for an alleged arrested student, adding that anyone who had witnessed the incident or had camera footage should send it to the account. The post also alleged the incident was instigated by private security and occurred at a UAW strike support demonstration. 

UAW Local 4811 members and supporters picketed in Dickson Plaza on Wednesday to show support for the ongoing strike.

[Related: United Auto Workers Local 4811 begins UCLA strike at Dickson Plaza]

UCLA hired multiple private security agencies, including Contemporary Services Corporation and APEX Security Group, in the wake of the creation of the pro-Palestine solidarity encampment April 25, which was dismantled by police May 2. Security has remained on campus since. 

Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA also called for support “for a student arrested at (a) strike yesterday” in an Instagram story posted Thursday. 

The student was released Thursday evening, according to the LA County Sheriff Department’s inmate information center website. 

UCLA Media Relations did not provide further comment regarding the arrest.

Contributing reports from Gabrielle Gillette, Daily Bruin staff.

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.

Cheviot Hills furnished room for rent. $1500/month, a double room with bathroom [email protected]