Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Former UCLA oncologist awarded $14 million in retried gender discrimination case

The Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center is pictured. Dr. Lauren Pinter-Brown, a former UCLA hematologic oncologist, was awarded $14 million Thursday in a gender discrimination lawsuit retrial. The case was originally overturned, but the retrial sided with Pinter-Brown for a second time. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Gabrielle Gillette

The Los Angeles Superior Court awarded $14 million to a former UCLA oncologist Thursday following an eight-year battle over her gender discrimination lawsuit.

Dr. Lauren Pinter-Brown, a former hematologic oncologist at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, sued the UC Board of Regents in 2016, alleging that she was discriminated against by her male colleagues and that she was receiving, on average, $200,000 less than them annually. The jury verdict in 2018 awarded Pinter-Brown $13 million, but the decision was overturned in 2020 by the California Court of Appeals – which deemed the original judge to be prejudiced against UCLA.

In the original lawsuit, Pinter-Brown alleged that she faced gender discrimination from 2006 until she eventually left her position in 2015. The 2016 lawsuit she filed also contained allegations of gender harassment, retaliation for complaints of discrimination, violation of equal pay and intentional infliction of emotional distress and defamation, among other complaints.

The LA Superior Court initially sided with Pinter-Brown on her claims of gender discrimination and retaliation.

However, the California Court of Appeals ruled in 2020 that the original trial could not stand because reports of unrelated discrimination complaints across the UC system had been filed as evidence and therefore should not have been admitted. The appellate court also ruled that, since the judge gave a civil rights presentation to jurors about Martin Luther King Jr., he positioned the case in a framework that promoted “standing up for justice” – something the LA Court of Appeals ruled to cause bias in Pinter-Brown’s favor.

In its ruling, the appellate court also took issue with the judge’s decision to allow Pinter-Brown to bring forward a claim in the middle of the trial that the judge had previously dismissed.

The case was then retried. That trial, which ended Thursday, resulted in Pinter-Brown being awarded $14 million by the jury – $1 million more than her original jury verdict.

Gabrielle Gillette

Large furnished room w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica. Only $995 per month includes 25% summer discount. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922