Monday, June 17, 2024

SJP and UC Divest Coalition Demonstrations at UCLAUCLA chancellor appointment

UCPD alleges plot to vandalize, occupy Moore Hall following 44 arrests Monday

Individuals are pictured in front of Dodd Hall on Monday. Individuals, including students, marched from Moore Hall to Dodd Hall after 44 people were arrested in Parking Structure 2, according to a UCPD news release Wednesday. (Anna Dai-Liu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sharla Steinman

This post was updated May 9 at 11:45 p.m. 

For the Daily Bruin’s full coverage on the UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA encampment, see here.

44 individuals, including 35 students, were arrested for conspiracy to commit a crime Monday, according to a UCPD news release Wednesday.

UCPD Patrol Division Lieutenant Richard Davis previously told the Daily Bruin on Monday that 43 individuals had been arrested for conspiracy to commit burglary after being stopped for potential curfew violations.

According to the release, UCPD officers responded to Parking Structure 2 and found around 40 people wearing masks and in possession of metal pipes, bolt cutters, epoxy adhesive, super glue, padlocks, heavy-duty chains and documents “encouraging violence and vandalism” after a UCLA community member reported a large group of people.

While the group was detained, officers heard about an intrusion at Moore Hall and an associated social media post that called for the occupation of the building, according to the release.

[Related: 43 individuals arrested in Parking Structure 2 before pro-Palestine sit-in, rally]

The Monday morning Instagram post from the UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine at UCLA called for students to mobilize to Moore Hall at 7 a.m. Monday.

A UC Divest spokesperson declined a request for comment.

The release stated that officers believed the individuals planned to use their tools to break into, occupy and vandalize Moore Hall.

“As a result, 42 individuals were taken into custody for California Penal Code § 182(a)(1) – Conspiracy to Commit a Crime and two individuals were taken into custody for California Penal Code § 148(a)(1) – Obstructing a Peace Officer,” the release said.

Individuals were then transported to LAPD Valley Jail, where they were booked, cited and released.

Two individuals, who identified themselves as members of the press, were later released and not charged.

Of the 44 people arrested, four were also arrested May 2 for failing to leave the Dickson Plaza encampment following a police order to disperse.

The release added there were no reported injuries to individuals or officers in Parking Structure Two.

The police investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Sharla Steinman | City and Crime Editor
Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.

Furnished studio/bedroom unit w/private bath between UCLA and Santa Monica $1,175 month. Single bus public transport to UCLA or the beach. Txt 1(805)551-9922