Saturday, May 11, 2024

Counter-protests of UCLA encampment raise over $50,000 on GoFundMe

Counter-protesters of the pro-Palestine encampment are pictured. A GoFundMe for a counter-protest this weekend has raised more than $50,000. (Julia Zhou/Photo editor)

By Catherine Hamilton

For the Daily Bruin’s full coverage of the UC Divest Coalition and Students for Justice in Palestine encampment, see here.

A GoFundMe to support counter-protests of the UCLA pro-Palestine encampment has raised $50,943 in the past 15 hours.

The GoFundMe – created by a user called Nathan Mo from Beverly Hills – had the goal of raising $26,000 to bring a “huge screen and big loud speakers” to Dickson Plaza, where the encampment has been since Thursday. According to the GoFundMe’s description, the equipment will be used to play clips and interviews from the Hamas Oct. 7 attacks on Israel. Donations have been made by more than 460 accounts. 

“A group of us are planning something very big for the ucla encampment,” according to the GoFundMe’s description. “This is a big production and will require the help of our community to do it right and make a statement not just to these braindead uneducated sheep sleeping in tents, but to all the other anti-Israel protesters. … If we all pitch in a bit then we can make this a legendary counter move and drown out their chants with the screams and cries of October 7th.” 

Counter-protesters have been active on and off in Dickson Plaza since Thursday, including chanting through speakers and attempting to engage with those inside the encampment. 

The GoFundMe’s organizer did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Media liaisons for the encampment denied a request for comment.

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.