Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Quarterfinal loss to Oregon shuts UCLA men’s tennis out of Pac-12 championship

Govind Nanda slams his hat to the ground. The redshirt senior lost his singles match in straight sets as UCLA men’s tennis fell 4-1 to Oregon. (Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)

Men's Tennis

No. 3 seed UCLA1
No. 6 seed Oregon4

By Jeremy Chen

OJAI, Calif. — A thrown hat, a fall onto his back and a “quack quack.”

Those three instances summed up the Bruins’ experience at the conference tournament, which can be further distilled down to one word: frustrating.

No. 6 seed Oregon (15-12, 3-5 Pac-12) knocked No. 3 seed UCLA men’s tennis (14-7, 5-2) out of contention in the Pac-12 championship Thursday in Ojai, California. The Ducks clinched the quarterfinal 4-1 after dropping the doubles point to the Bruins, ending the latter’s run in the last-ever Pac-12 tournament.

“We thought we had a good chance, but obviously it was not our night,” said coach Billy Martin.

The final point of the night mirrored that sentiment.

The ball soared through the air, but it was still within reach. Giacomo Revelli backpedaled, made his adjustments and elevated to slam the ball.

It wasn’t enough.

His shot was in, but the junior’s backward momentum carried him too far. Revelli tumbled onto his back and was left helpless as Oregon’s Matthew Burton easily put the ball away.

That shot sealed the match for the Ducks, completing a third-set bagel in Revelli’s 4-6, 6-3, 0-6 loss. While the Ducks mobbed and celebrated the win, the London native picked up his racket and launched a ball into the trees – followed by a brisk, solemn walk to shake the umpire and his opponent’s hands.

He wasn’t the only Bruin experiencing frustration Thursday night.

No. 26 Govind Nanda slammed his hat on court one during a 3-6, 4-6 defeat at the hands of Oregon’s No. 90 Quinn Vandecasteele. While the redshirt senior’s trickier style and change of pace provided him with occasional points here and there, powerful groundstrokes and consistency from Vandecasteele proved too much for him to overcome.

(Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)
The Ducks swarm Matthew Burton after he defeated Bruin junior Giacomo Revelli to clinch the Pac-12 quarterfinal for his team. (Brianna Carlson/Daily Bruin)

The crowd – featuring a large showing of Ducks supporters – amplified the competitive atmosphere of the match.

Chants and quacks from Oregon fans echoed through Libbey Park as soon as the first match began – drowning out cheers for a UCLA team that never quite solidified its footing despite two gritty doubles wins.

“Everybody has bad days, unfortunately,” Martin said. “It was great to win the doubles point – I thought we had momentum.”

Powerful serves from freshman Spencer Johnson led him and his partner, redshirt freshman Emon van Loben Sels, to a 6-4 victory, tying the doubles matches at one set apiece. Nanda and junior Alexander Hoogmartens broke their opponents two straight times to storm back from a 3-4 deficit and win 6-4.

This was the opposite result of UCLA’s match against Oregon on April 5, where the former lost the doubles point but still won 4-3. But for the Bruins, doubles was not where the differences stopped.

The Ducks won the first singles set on four out of the six courts and took three of the matches in straight sets. They clinched the match with Burton’s win over Revelli.

“It was just really hard to play today,” Hoogmartens said. “When you don’t play your best tennis, it’s just hard to get out of it.”

Jeremy Chen
Chen is a Photo editor and a sports contributor on the men's tennis beat. He is a fourth-year cognitive science student pursuing a minor in film, television, and digital media, and he is from Alameda, California. He was previously an assistant Photo editor on the Sports beat.
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]