Saturday, May 4, 2024

Graduate Student Association election results announced

Kerckhoff Hall, where the Graduate Student Association offices are housed, is pictured. This year’s GSA elections saw three reelections and a failed referendum vote. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Catherine Hamilton

The Graduate Student Association (GSA) election results were announced Wednesday.

Six candidates ran for four positions: president, vice president of internal affairs, vice president of external affairs and vice president of academic affairs. The election saw a 9.16% turnout – with 1,183 students out of 12,921 eligible to vote submitting ballots – a higher percentage than 2022’s 8.9% turnout.

The results will be approved by the GSA Forum on May 9.

The Establishing Meaningful Bruin Resources, Activities, Community & Experiences (E.M.B.R.A.C.E) referendum failed, with 59.1% of votes against and 40.9% of votes in favor. The E.M.B.R.A.C.E referendum – which also required election turnout to exceed 10% – would have increased the student union fee from $23 to $47 per quarter and from $34.50 to $70.50 per semester.

Since graduate and professional students failed to pass the referendum, it will not appear on the Undergraduate Students Association Council’s election ballot.

Election results:

GSA President: Noor Nakhaei

Nakhaei was reelected for a third term after receiving 70.6% of votes. She is a doctoral student in computer science.

GSA Vice President of Internal Affairs: Elisa Nesi Rocha

Nesi Rocha was reelected for a second term after receiving 54% of votes. She is a graduate student in Latin American studies.

GSA Vice President of External Affairs: Sonya Brooks

Brooks was reelected for a second term after receiving 988 votes. The doctoral student in UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies ran unopposed.

GSA Vice President of Academic Affairs: Chanel Cox

Cox was elected after receiving 963 votes. The graduate student in African American studies ran unopposed.

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.