Thursday, May 2, 2024

Opinion: It’s time to ditch daylight saving and switch to permanent standard time

(Julia Chen/Daily Bruin)

By Angelina Alkhouri

Just as birds wake up and sleep early of their own accord, humans also possess internal clocks to maximize hours during the day and regulate their restorative sleep cycle.

Established in the United States in 1918, the practice of daylight saving intends to conserve energy by maximizing daylight. Daylight saving refers to setting clocks an hour forward in spring and an hour behind in fall.

As we changed our clocks to “spring forward” last month, Americans were prompted yet again to reconsider the consequences of daylight saving. The seemingly minute change of one hour can have major ramifications – on a personal and public scale.

The ongoing advocacy for permanent standard time – a constant time that doesn’t jump forward or back an hour – dates back to the early 1970s, and legislative efforts such as Assembly Bill 1776 continue this conversation. The Sunshine Protection Act, which makes daylight saving permanent, was approved in 2022 by the Senate but has yet to go into effect in any state since it failed in the House.

These ongoing controversies stemming from a lack of agreement should conclude with the establishment of permanent standard time. This battle underscores a broader issue: the need for increased representation of lesser-known issues that significantly impact people’s lives.

While there are political barriers present, the key arguments to get rid of daylight saving are centered around sleep. Daylight saving time may keep individuals awake at night and wake them up too early in the morning, contributing to sleep deprivation and an increased likelihood of cancer. These health concerns are recognized by other countries, most of which have established permanent standard time.

“Permanent standard time has a greater history, a longer history of success when it is put into place,” said Jay Pea, president of Save Standard Time, a nonprofit organization that urges state and federal legislators to support bills that establish permanent standard time.

Pea added that UCLA students should contact members of the state legislature to support the proposed bills.

The Coalition for Permanent Standard Time provides valuable information and a prewritten letter that can be utilized as a template for contacting legislatures. Advocacy for this resolution may not be prioritized because students are often overwhelmed with school and extracurricular activities.

Rayana Ladd, a first-year physiological science student, said she struggled to adjust her sleep schedule to college life. Therefore, she didn’t notice a big change after daylight saving other than little things such as the clock on her fridge being an hour behind and dining halls closing early.

Although the average student needs around nine hours of sleep, daylight saving significantly alters that schedule, raises stress levels and increases depression.

While some students might not feel strongly about the matter, they should take into consideration their own health and uphold their responsibility to participate in legislative matters.

Cameron Katz, a fourth-year political science and psychology student and president of Bruin Democrats, has experience working in a legislative office and said that he finds great potential in sending out emails.

“It’s important that you do it from a very personal place as opposed to doing it from a standard, repetitive way. Because that’s what really will get attention from these legislators as opposed to sending a form email,” Katz added. “Not just copying and pasting something is the best way to make sure that your voice gets heard in these offices that receive upwards of hundreds or even sometimes thousands of communications a day.”

So while the prewritten letter might be a good starting point, finding a personal angle will ensure a greater chance of some response.

Many students may be unaware of the compelling evidence that highlights the detrimental health effects associated with the biannual time changes. These consequences include an increased risk of heart attacks, strokes and a startling 6% surge in fatal traffic accidents in the days following the shift. These alarming statistics represent just a fraction of the extensive list of negative impacts tied to the disruptive nature of daylight saving time.

They say the early bird catches the worm because there is great efficiency and success in following our natural rhythms during the day.

In a statement from UCLA Newsroom, Chancellor Gene Block wrote, “Permanent standard time is the only fair and viable option, not only for California, but the entire nation.”

It is time – pun intended – to put an end to daylight saving.

By supporting permanent standard time, we prioritize our health and align with the natural rhythms that guide us to thrive, not just survive.

Angelina Alkhouri

Room in Brentwood private home, prefer Asian female. $950. Furnished, wifi, walking 5minutes to public transport, shops, restaurant etc. skho99@gmail.com