David Geffen School of Medicine interim dean announced as new permanent dean

The Learning Resource Center at the David Geffen School of Medicine is pictured. The school named Dr. Steven Dubinett, its interim dean since 2021, as permanent dean Monday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Anna Dai-Liu

Dr. Steven Dubinett, who has served as the interim dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine since 2021, was named as the school’s permanent dean Monday.

In a press release from UCLA Health, Dr. John Mazziotta, vice chancellor for health sciences and CEO of UCLA Health, said Dubinett was chosen because of his experience leading a range of research initiatives and his history in collaborating with students and faculty. Dubinett, who became a UCLA faculty member in 1988, is also the founding director of the UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute – which works to engage researchers in transitioning their work to the clinical and community levels – and a distinguished professor in multiple departments.

“I am truly honored and privileged to lead the David Geffen School of Medicine, an integral contributor to the nation’s leading public university which resides in one of the most diverse communities in the nation,” Dubinett said in the press release.

Dubinett was chosen as dean by a committee of professors in health-related fields according to a UCLA Health communitywide email from Mazziotta and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Darnell Hunt. The committee was chaired by Tracy Johnson, dean of life sciences.

A spokesperson for UCLA Health declined a request for further comment.

Dubinett’s appointment in 2021 as interim dean faced opposition from some medical students at the time, who claimed that they had not been properly informed about or involved in the decision.

[Related: Medical students vocalize opposition to newly appointed interim dean]

Hunt and Mazziotta said in the email to UCLA Health faculty and students that Dubinett will focus on advancing justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in the school. They added in the email that in his time as interim dean, Dubinett launched several programs to support students and faculty from underrepresented backgrounds as well as an initiative for equitable pay.

“His vision and style of leadership – grounded in multidisciplinary collaboration and transparency – will allow him to partner effectively with community members within the DGSOM, throughout UCLA Health and across the university,” they said. “We look forward to seeing the many accomplishments Dean Dubinett will continue to achieve in his role.”

Anna Dai-Liu | Science and health editor
Dai-Liu is the 2023-2024 science and health editor and Copy staff member. She was previously a News staff writer and is currently a third-year neuroscience and comparative literature student.