Thursday, May 2, 2024

Broxton Nights celebrates Women’s History Month with pink-themed market

A vendor at Broxton Nights is pictured. Bruins and community members came together for a night of roller skating, music and shopping Saturday night on Broxton Avenue. (Nina Schmidt/Daily Bruin)

By Dora Gao

Westwood community members were able to “Paint the Town Pink” at March’s edition of Broxton Nights on Saturday evening, which featured roller skating, music, dance and hot pink outfits.

The event occurs on the second Saturday of every month in the Westwood Village and is organized by the Westwood Village Improvement Association, Farm Habit and the Los Angeles Skate Hunnies. This month’s pink theme paid tribute to Women’s History Month, and attendees had the chance to listen to music from a DJ truck and watch dance performances by skaters.

Alexander Donn, a first-year cognitive science and economics student, said he came to the event because his friends said it would be a great experience. He added that he thinks the event gives UCLA students a sense of community and allows them to try new things.

Hyacinth Whitehorn, a service advisor, expressed how Broxton Nights was very inclusive and welcomed everyone into its warm community.

“I love how inclusive it is. It’s been a great welcoming community,” Whitehorn said. “They don’t care about what you represent or who you are. They just really like you for who you are.”

Smaller communities with more specific interests are also brought together by Broxton Nights. Sarah Morge, Music to Life operations and special projects manager, said the event brought the LA skate community together because it allowed skaters to meet and learn new skills from each other.

As part of the fair-style event, vendors showcased items such as homemade art, roller-skating-themed clothing and scented candles. Jacob Moreno, owner of pet treat company Better Bark & Meow, said the event allowed him to reach more customers and create a more beneficial business cycle. As a first-time vendor at Broxton Nights, he said he enjoyed the experience.

“It’s a good area to have a business,” Moreno said. “A lot of people really like my stuff because it’s something that you don’t see every day.”

Broxton Nights also allows vendors to have more face-to-face interactions with customers, said Sam Rashba, owner of Rashba Fine Art. He came to Broxton Nights to share his art with more people who might be interested.

“The human connection is really important,” Rashba said. “You get a lot of unexpected interactions that are not necessarily targeted by ads.”

Broxton Nights attendees also expressed satisfaction with the activity options, sharing the highlights of their night.

“I love seeing everyone else skating and what they can do and trying to mimic some of what they’re doing and learn new skills,” Morge said.

Participants also expressed their wish for more vendors in future Broxton Night events.

Veronica Posadas, a summer associate at Heart of LA, said she hopes to see more vendors and hopes the DJ is also at the next Broxton Nights.

Megan Furey, director of programs and partnerships for the WVIA, said the Broxton Nights event series was even more successful than the organization could have imagined.

“The event has exceeded our expectations regarding community engagement and participation,” Furey said. “We envision Broxton Nights evolving into an even more dynamic and diverse event with an expanded lineup of activities, performances, and vendors. We hope to see it become a staple of the Westwood Village calendar.”

Dora Gao